Looking for buddy(ies) for Africa cycle tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilsonny83

Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. Basically I'm looking to go on a cycling adventure through the whole of Africa in a big loop. Africa has always been fascinating to me; the red dirt, the hospitality beyond people's means, stary night skies etc. However I don't want to see such great landscapes from the inside of a ratly bus! And of course I don't want to and probably can't do it alone. That's why I'm looking for a buddy(ies) to savour this treat with. So if you're looking to do something different, get away from constant recession-talk and discover something about the world and yourself, please get in touch. This HAS been done (by few), can by done (by us), and should be done! But why?

1. To get into the soul of the world's forgotten continent;
2. To meet the lovely people and experience their unique hospitality;
3. To do something that you can actually be proud of;
4. To test the limits of your physical and mental strength and abilities;
5. And many more philosophical reasons!

If you're still with me that's great. Here are some of the dynamics that we'll have to consider together;
1. Start date and location. The aim is to go round the whole of Africa starting either in Morocco or Egypt. On a personal level I'd like to be in South Africa by the World Cup (starting 06/2010), so that means probably an Autumn 2009 departure. That gives us about 100 days of preparation.
2. To keep costs down and to allow us to experience the hospitality of villagers 'wild' camping is the best option for accommodation.
3. We're going to need MANY free pages in our passports and money to rack up all the necessary visas. Africa is a pain for visas but I've done my research and there are actually few countries where it is necessary to submit all your documents at an embassy before arriving. Warning! it's very common for African visas to be upwards of $50.
4. Owing to the length of the trip and the fact that we won't be able to work it is advisable to have SOME money saved. Although I've never been to Africa, I've heard a lot of the time it isn't that cheap (if you like Western luxuries!)
5. An open-ended commitment is needed for the trip. I can't say exactly when we'll finish and working to deadlines will only get us into trouble.
6. As for a route, we must consider issues such as terrain (on one likes hills!), country-safety and things to see on the way. The intention is go round the whole of the continent; a big loop. Given the difficulty in obtaining Libyan and Algerian visas it may be best to complete the loop in Europe? Any thoughts?

So if there's anyone with an interest in leaving their mark on the world in this great environmentally-friendly way, or would love to use this as your next conversation starter at a cocktail party then please get in touch by personal message or at wpearson83@gmail.com
africaflags.gif

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Good luck mate!

I think Auntie Helen has a week free in September:wacko:

stephenjubb

Über Member
suggest you post on forum.ctc.org.uk in touring and expedition as well. you may get some more responses.

also tell us a bit about yourself i.e. preferred mileage per day, fitness, previous experience etc.

OP
OP
W

wilsonny83

Thanks for your response and suggestion stephenjubb.

In terms of "how much" which you asked, are you refering to time, money, energy? In terms of time, I'm reckoning between 1-2 years or more, which is why this is not for everybody. For money you're going to need a few thousand pounds saved surely; for food, daily costs of living, a hotel every now and then etc. The last point brings me to your other question. I am a 26 year old male, who is not a professional cyclist but likes doing the ocassional tour. My fitness now is the best it's been since I was at school as I've been training 5 days a week for several months, which is probably why I want to do this thing at this stage in my life. That said, my surname isn't Hoy and this isn't a race around Africa. I wouldn't want to make pronouncements on the daily mileage as it will be hot, conditions will be difficult at times and liable to change, and the best places for camping need to be considered.

I'm really eager to attempt this and I know I will forever regret it if I don't do it and can't handle the physical side of such a trip later on in life.

Have you read anything on crazyguyonabike about tours in Africa. A friend of a friend who went through Ethiopia, for example, found that it was one of the most distressing experiences he'd ever had. Basically, wherever he went, he had a crowd of people around him the whole time, literally shouting in his face. He felt hounded out of the place, and experienced none of this supposed hospitality associated with the place.

I think what I'm trying to say is that each country is different and be prepared for some very bonkers experiences, not all of them nice.

Top Bottom