Looking for first carbon bike - cube????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gam001

Über Member
Just to throw a curve ball at you Blowfish - have you thought of sticking with the bike and doing some proper training if performance is your aim? I say this as I was thinking of getting a new bike last October but instead upped the training and I'm now a lot faster - I realised that my bike is actually pretty good and it was me that needed upgrading :laugh:

Ningishzidda

Are you going to compete in BC Open road races? Or is it just an occasional sportive type bike?

400bhp

Guru
Just to throw a curve ball at you Blowfish - have you thought of sticking with the bike and doing some proper training if performance is your aim? I say this as I was thinking of getting a new bike last October but instead upped the training and I'm now a lot faster - I realised that my bike is actually pretty good and it was me that needed upgrading :laugh:

^^^THIS^^^

Typhon

I made a similar upgrade in terms of price recently. The carbon bike is noticeably faster but also much more comfortable. Riding the same roads, with the same gear, in similar conditions with a similar effort level (as measured by HRM) I am about 0.7 - 0.8mph faster on average than with the Alu bike.

Now since I started cycling I've increased my average speed 6.5mph and I'm hoping for another 3mph eventually so that is a small increase in the grand scheme of things. But I always knew it was mostly about the rider's fitness anyway so I would have been satisfied to have any noticeable increase. The fact that it's so much more comfortable, faster and changes more smoothly means I am very satisfied with my purchase.

It's up to you whether you would see that as a significant performance improvement or not. Obviously just getting more miles in and the right training plan would be more beneficial, but it's even more beneficial to do both. Ultimately a lot depends on your own finances as to whether it's worth it or not.

As for Cube I can't offer any personal experience either but I can say pretty confidently that they are not rubbish. No new bike for anywhere near that kind of money is (unless defective). Some are just better than others and a lot of that comes down to personal opinion anyway. As long as you have a realistic expectation of the kind of performance increase you'll see, I'm sure you'll be happy with almost anything you buy at that price. I think the best thing to do is to try out a few and see what suits you best.

Any particular reason for carbon?

As others have said, that sort of cash buys loads of options. Have you considered Ti? I admit I'm biased; pro-Ti and anti-carbon!

edit: also, are you planning on keeping the spesh?

Top Bottom