Looking for first carbon bike - cube????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowfish

Got my first road bike, a specialized allez elite at the beginning of last year and am looking to upgrade. I have a budget of £2.3k ish and am currently leaning towards a cube litening super hpc pro. Does anyone have good/bad experience of this bike they can share? What else would you recommend I should look at? Will I notice a significant performance improvement from my current allez elite (ie my current 40 mile route I plot on strava) ?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Depends on your current performace over a 40 mile ride, I suppose. For that kind of budget you have a lot of options!

Loads of options but do your homework and don't rush it. I would personally pick a bike based on what kind of riding i do, or plan to do. That way you can narrow down your options and get a bike better fitted for your needs.

FWIW i do not have any experience of the Cube. It does seem to review well but imo there are maybe better value bikes for the money. You could get Ultegra Di2 groupset with carbon for similar money if that's your thing.

Kies

If i am ever lucky enough to afford a £2k + bike, i will research online and then go test ride as many as i can get my hands on. I did this with my Defy,Sirrus and Triban ...... Not regretted any of my bikes!

Mr McHenry

As in people have a boat load of cash to blow but not enough nouce to know what their needs are, how to use search engines and/or don't think to visit local bike shops?
It's a forum....

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Thanks for the clarification, I thought it was a potato!

This helps one know their own needs how? How is one supposed to make legitimate recommendations if the poster does not give any background at all?

This is just another thread that is an open invite for everyone to list what bike they ride!

Reactions: gaz

400bhp

Guru
Thanks for the clarification, I thought it was a potato!

This helps one know their own needs how? How is one supposed to make legitimate recommendations if the poster does not give any background at all?

This is just another thread that is an open invite for everyone to list what bike they ride!

Come on Rob, they do a one and only 40 mile circuit. We know his/her needs:whistle:

OP
OP
B

Blowfish

Lots of not so helpfull comments? This used to be a decent place for advice on kit!

Obviously i dont just ride the same 40 mile route, i just thought it would be a good benchmark to see how much of a performance improvement a new bike would give me over my current ride.

Not many decent online reviews on the Cube bike so i thought i would ask on here. The bike will be used for sportives, i ride 2-3 times a week from 20-60 miles. My LBS said Cubes are rubbish and i should buy a Scott or Specialized - i get the feeling he is pushing the kit he has the best margin in!

Come on Rob, they do a one and only 40 mile circuit. We know his/her needs:whistle:

simon.r

Person
Am I the only one that find these threads bizarre?

As in people have a boat load of cash to blow but not enough nouce to know what their needs are, how to use search engines and/or don't think to visit local bike shops?

I think it's just part of the thought process in buying a new bike. It's the 'virtual pub' thing - asking your mates what they'd do sometimes brings ideas to the table that you'd not thought about. Whether the OP takes any notice of the replies is up to him, but he'll probably get a few things to think about. I've certainly dome similar in the past.

On that basis, I'll throw Planet X into the hat - carbon bikes from £1k to £4k. Worth a look IMO.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Lots of not so helpfull comments? This used to be a decent place for advice on kit!

Obviously i dont just ride the same 40 mile route, i just thought it would be a good benchmark to see how much of a performance improvement a new bike would give me over my current ride.

Not many decent online reviews on the Cube bike so i thought i would ask on here. The bike will be used for sportives, i ride 2-3 times a week from 20-60 miles. My LBS said Cubes are rubbish and i should buy a Scott or Specialized - i get the feeling he is pushing the kit he has the best margin in!

I have a Cube and I don't agree with your LBS. It rides very well and was excellent value. Having said that, if my budget was over 2 grand I would be looking at other brands and seriously considering electronic shifting. I have never ridden a Scott, so can't comment but not sure how much bike you get for your money and the same is definitely true for Specialized. Over-priced for the spec, IMHO.

I would be looking at Cannondale Supersix and definitely Canyon Ultimate CF. Others will come along shortly and sing the virtues of Specialized, no doubt :smile:

Riding a lighter bike will generally offer some performance increase. A lot is going to depend on the typical riding you do and your fitness, of course.

Top Bottom