Looking for my 2nd recumbent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Good luck with the M+s, I had them on my Kett' and it was like riding through treacle.
I've heard lots of people say this, but I've done roll-down tests with trikes fitted with a variety of other tyres and there has been literally zero difference. Marathon themselves say the rolling resistance of the M+ is identical to standard Marathons.

CopperBrompton

PS - top speed to date, 54mph on M+ ...

byegad

Legendary Member
Each to his own. Personally you couldn't pay me enough to run M+. :smile:

My own experience is that they are slower than the BA or M Racers and while they do have reasonable armour in them they can be defeated, and when they are getting them off the rim can be an utter swine of a job. This from my 16 mile each way commuting days when I snapped two plastic tyre levers and in the end got rescued by car and used old metal levers to get the offending M+ off the rim. I changed to Pasela Tourguards after that which were faster, easy to get on and off even when new and suffered zero punctures in several thousand miles of commuting. In fact the only reason I know they were easy to get off was I fitted a new one the wrong way round on the rear wheel of my Thorn Club Tour and had to remove it straight away. Since sold, to a friend, the bike is still on my commuting set of Tourguards.

CopperBrompton

Well, I've only ever had one p-word in 5000 miles of riding on M+, so I can't say I have much experience removing and refitting the tyres, but I am the world's least mechanical person and I managed it with no tyre levers, trikes or Bens harmed in the process. :smile:

Personally I won't use anything else - absolutely love 'em!

starhawk

I changed from ordinary marathons to marathon +, can't feel any difference but the back tire was a pain to mount, according to the cycle mechanic but that was on a strictly non-standard rim

Top Bottom