Looking for my 2nd recumbent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
O.K. so I've been bitten by the recumbent bug since acquiring a Bachetta Strada a few months ago, and now me wants a trike. I nearly bid on ebay last week on an ICE-Q (nt) but tbh I'm after something a little bit more sporty so I held off. An ICE Vortex would be my 1st choice were money no object, Catrike 700, Windcheetah etc etc.

There are a few Windcheetahs knocking around on forums, a cheap as chips one way up in Scotland, and an (I think) overpriced one in Leicester, which I may pop down to see and hopefully knock a LOT of the asking price.

Basically, if anyone is looking to sell a 'sporty' trike, then I'm looking to buy.

Gary E

Veteran
Looking for my 2nd recumbent.

......where did you see it last? :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Catrike 700 would be my trike of choice.
It's an awesome looking machine.
And if the build is anything like my Catrike Bent then it will be a brilliant ride.

Funnily enough I chose the Expedition over the 700 as it is a more robust machine. However there is little diffrence performance wise between the two.

GrasB

Veteran
I'd recommend going somewhere that has loads of trikes in stock to try.

With regard to QNT v's Vortex, the pre-12 Vortex is basically a high performance spec version of the Sprint. The Sprint is the successor of the QNT. A word of warning about 2nd hand Windcheetahs, the boom is cut to length then glued into the metal boss. You can obviously shorten the boom with relative ease but lengthening it is a real problem.

byegad

Legendary Member
I agree the QNT can be set up to be very sporty. Pull out the rear section as far as possible, recline the seat all the way, fit narrow tyres and you've got a radically fast trike. Alternatively try to find an ICE S, longer than the longest QNT set up, same track as the NT options and a hardshell seat. The thing is everyone who bought one seems to like it and so they only come up for sale very, very rarely.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

I agree the QNT can be set up to be very sporty. Pull out the rear section as far as possible, recline the seat all the way, fit narrow tyres and you've got a radically fast trike. Alternatively try to find an ICE S, longer than the longest QNT set up, same track as the NT options and a hardshell seat. The thing is everyone who bought one seems to like it and so they only come up for sale very, very rarely.

I really really regret not bidding on the very highly spec'd QNT on ebay last week. It was in Sheffield f'gawds sake.Kicking myself, it went for £1250.

I may have a pop down to Leicester to look at a Windcheetah, but they have it for sale at £2000. They've offered it me for less, but it's still a bit out of my budget. It does have the carbon rear fairing, and it's a medium frame so should fit me better than the Windcheetah in Edinburgh.....though that one's significantly cheaper. Oh, what to do? That's why I was putting the feelers out on here, as I've noticed that a lot of 'bent riders have more than 1 machine, and was hoping someone would be looking to 'offload' one!

Thanks for the warning about the boom length GrasB. I've already done the measurements and a Medium Windcheetah should be bang on for me. That's another prob with the one for sale in Edinburgh. It's a Medium/Large, and it's a hell of a way to go to find that it won't fit me!

GrasB

Veteran
You can work out of it's close to fitting by checking your X-seam lengths are about the same using the same measurement method. That is assuming it's an owner selling the machine rather than a shop.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

I've decided that a Vortex is well out of my price range. So I'm hopefully going to go and have a look at a 2nd hand Windcheetah Supersport. I'm a bit put off this by the amount of 'non-standard' parts fitted (plus it's a bit older (but supposedly very low usage)).....but I guess Manchester isn't too far for me to travel if I have any problems. I'd go for a 2nd hand Ice Sprint (or older QNT) but the phrase 'rare as rocking horse s***' springs to mind.
My other option, one I hadn't really considered is a Catrike 700. I've emailed Wheel NV in Kent, and if they have a demo I'll pop down for a look. Does anyone have anything to bad to say about the Windcheetah, and does anyone ride a Catrike 700? I've not seen anything too bad in the reviews, and the Catrike is by far the cheapest new option.....there's also the HPVelotchnik Scorpion, arghhhh.

Cheers, Carl.

byegad

Legendary Member
The steering is very different on the Windcheetah compared to most other trikes.

Some owners have written that they are unhappy at very high speeds, 40mph+ downhill, others will boast of speeds comparable to that reached by other makes' riders.

My three trikes are rock solid in the 50mph range, most trike riders with a few thousand miles behind them will tell you about similar downhill speeds, including Windcheetah owners, so it's not that the 'Cheetah is bad, just a bit different.

The person with the highest claim that I've spoken to, and believe, mentioned 70mph plus off Shap with a full touring load on an ICE trike. My personal recorded best is 51mph on my QNT, although the other two trikes may have exceeded this without a computer or GPS to confirm this. At these speeds you are taking a big risk, not in stability, but in stopping or avoiding a problem if another road user does something unexpected.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Not only did I drop on one, but I only had to travel 20 miles to Sheffield for it http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-machine-cant-wait-for-tuesday.101444/#post-1836741 . Compared to my jaunt to Cardiff for the Strada, a real result. Got it yesterday, been on on it today. Wow. Fast, easy, comfy, and I shouldn't fall off or get knocked off like I did on the Strada. I'm not going too extreme with the tyres, and I want the puncture proofness, so I've ordered some Marathon Plus's which are a bit narrower than the Marathon racers that are on it now. I've even got a spare seat (medium, the large fitted now is perfect for me) automatic chain adjuster (probably won't fit it though) and a spare elastomer suspension thingy ma jig.

byegad

Legendary Member
Good luck with the M+s, I had them on my Kett' and it was like riding through treacle.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Good luck with the M+s, I had them on my Kett' and it was like riding through treacle.

I did think about just having an M+ on the rear.....still may do, but what is the best fast 20 inch tyre with puncture protection? I may go for Duranos on the front if the M+'s are too slow. I suppose a tube change wouldn't take 2 mins (q/r mudguards fitted.)

Crikey, if I do fit Duranos, I'd have 2 spare M+s......they'd last me a while!

Beneficial treacle though, watching the number of punctures on the Isle of Wight Randonnee I am glad that I was shod in M+

byegad

Legendary Member
It depends on where you ride. I find Big Apples fast and comfortable, they're on both my QNT and Kett', they are pumped up to 70psi, except the lightly loaded front one on the Kett' which is at 55psi. They don't suffer too many punctures, but i ride for fun and avoid lanes where the hedge have just been clipped and rarely ride in town where glass could be an issue. The Trail has Marathon Racers and they are no faster than the BAs but certainly harsher on poor road surfaces.

I tried Kojaks on the Kettwiesel, after the Marathon Pluses, and they were harsh and had poor grip on cold days as well as suffering too many punctures for my liking, after 1000 miles I replaced them with Big Apples.

Speed wise the Kojaks and Big Apples were no different and both a lot faster* than the M+s.
Comfort wise the Big Apples win hands down over both of the others.
Protection wise the Kojaks were a lot more fragile!
Fitting Kojaks and Big Apples is easy... Good taste precludes me from commenting freely on fitting M+s! Enough to say they are the only tyres that saw me snap a tyre lever while removing them.

* I average 10mph moving average and descend hills, of which we have plenty as fast as i can. My fastest recorded speed is 51mph.

Top Bottom