Looking for opinions on a second hand bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Is that a Biopace sticker I spy? That stayed around for longer on the low end groupsets. Is it Exage? Do you know what the frame material is? Steel, but what blend?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Could the rear mech be Ultegra/600? The STi shifters are newer than the bike as well? If the groupset is high end, I suppose it could be worth that. Especially with good wheels.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Columbus steel? Looks quite nice to me.

Absolutely right! It's Columbus Gara:

DSC02608.JPG

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

So, what do you think? Worth it? It seems very good to me. The frame isn't Columbus' best, but probably a good compromise between performance and comfort. He gives the weight at 4.1 kilos. That seems tremendously light - unless he meant just the frame. Anyway, here are the other pics he sent me this morning:
DSC02588.JPG

DSC02603.JPG

DSC02606.JPG
DSC02607.JPG

DSC02612.JPG

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Knowing what we know now and if it fits; I would say very much worth it! Gara is lower down the range (a bit like 501?) but with those parts worth its money.

Looks like a cool paint job too!

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Knowing what we know now and if it fits; I would say very much worth it! Gara is lower down the range (a bit like 501?) but with those parts worth its money.

Looks like a cool paint job too!
As I understand it, Gara is a little better than 501 - more like 531. But, yes, agreed - the bike has a lot of character. Shame about the scratches, but hey ...

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If (and it's a big if) that's true, I'd be buying that right now.

Even if it's not, it looks really nice and I'd be buying it anyway.

I agree - I was thinking, "If that thing even weighs 10kg it's a damn good bike." But when he said 4.1! Surely, only carbon-framed bicycles these days can possibly be so light - and how much would they cost? But steel ... sounds like the best of both worlds: comfort and weight. He tells me the bike is ten years old - he also says it was very expensive when he bought it and it's heart-wrenching to sell it.

Top Bottom