Looking for opinions on a second hand bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I agree - I was thinking, "If that thing even weighs 10kg it's a damn good bike." But when he said 4.1! Surely, only carbon-framed bicycles these days can possibly be so light - and how much would they cost? But steel ... sounds like the best of both worlds: comfort and weight. He tells me the bike is ten years old - he also says it was very expensive when he bought it and it's heart-wrenching to sell it.

The lightest bike in the world is 3kg (or something like that) and it's cost many, many thousands of pounds.

It's got good kit on it and bags of retro-ish charm. If it fits, go for it.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I would want to collect it though.
That's exactly what's going to happen. I'm off this afternoon to pick it up - then I'll look for another I can do errands on. My wife agreed to me looking for 'another bike' so I didn't have to take the tourer around everywhere - but this is too class to use for going to the supermarket!

oh yes , we do need pics.

simon.r

Person
Absolutely right! It's Columbus Gara:

DSC02608.JPG

My Italian is non existent, but does 'Tree tubi' mean 'three tubes'? If so it may be the 3 main tubes are Columbus and the remainder aren't.

Still looks like a nice bike.

Cyclist33

Isn't that standard practice tho? Or is it just my bike is cheap?

It has 631 main tubing and then the rear triangle is some unidentified other tubing, designated "SST" by Jamis.

It does say all this on the tin, although it seems normal practice in bike reviews n stuff just to say that a bike is made entirely of 631, 853, Columbus etc...

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

OK, I'm back. As expected, bicycle definitely does not weigh 4 kg - more like double that I'd say. Still respectable though. For the moment the gears don't work. They'll go down (from 2nd to 1st) then shoot back up to 2nd again. The downshift doesn't seem to do anything yet - on the rear or the front derailleur. My first thought was the limit screws but they don't seem to do anything. Any ideas on this? Perhaps the cable needs to be replaced.
Apart from that it's a fine bike. The chain will need to be replaced and I suspect so too will the cassette (or freewheel). I'll look into the gear problem and I'll weigh it too!

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

OK - weight established. Just over 10kg! I wonder how he got 4. Here are some photos I've just taken:
Looks like I might need to replace the cassette/freewheel. If I'm not mistaken, there are some shark-fin shaped teeth here. I was expecting this though:

20150327_173100.jpg

The chainring looks pretty clean:
20150327_173219.jpg

I'm thinking that the cable has been cut too short. Might explain the gearshift problems:
20150327_174136.jpg

I'm no wheel expert, but I reckon these are pretty fair:
20150327_173205.jpg

Top Bottom