Looking for road maps; Western Isles &.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

Hi.

I am looking for a pretty detailed road maps of Western Isles & the Ullapool to Kyle Of Lochalsh area (including Applecross).
Yes, I know I can take a print out of the online Multimaps. But a real map is still the only real thing in town. The ideal size would be 1:200 000.

Anyone with a good suggestion ?

P.H

Über Member
OS Road 2 - Western Scotland and the Western Isles. 1:250000
I found this perfect for cycling. Shading and contours at 200 feet give you an idea of the topography. Campsites and some other points of interest are marked, they're cheap and fairly robust.
Have a look at the online mapping on the OS website to get an idea of the detail;
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/

OP
OP
T

toroddf

Thanx a lot for your advice. Much appreciated !

I had a look at it, but it does not offer anything better than Multimap print outs. But for £ 4, it is perhaps not such a bad thing anyway. I will see what they have in Oban when I arrive there too.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
P.H said:
OS Road 2 - Western Scotland and the Western Isles. 1:250000
I found this perfect for cycling.
So did I, but...

The OS 1:250,000 "Road" series has recently been discontinued.
I recommend that anyone who likes them gets them ASAP, before existing stock is sold out completely. Try Bike+, under the "End to End" section.

The replacement is the "Travel" series, at assorted scales. Some areas are good (i.e. Road, somewhat enlarged), but there's one Travel sheet for the whole of Scotland.

Beardie

toroddf said:
I had a look at it, but it does not offer anything better than Multimap print outs.

Unless you intend to go off-road, the OS Road map shows every cycleable road, except minor roads in urban areas, and none of the towns are really big enough to get lost in.

Also, I wouldn't bank on finding a wide range of material in Ullapool. Tourist Information is probably the only place doing maps, but its opening times are limited, and you may find yourself on the Stornoway ferry hoping to get something there.

During my trip there last year, in the main I used the OS Road 2 which was more than adequate, as it showed the side roads to the Hostels and campsites. what it does not show too much is how bloody steep some of the hills can be. By the way the East coast road route via geocrab from Leverburg to Tarbert is interesting.:-)

OP
OP
T

toroddf

Hi and thanx.

I have spoken to Lochmaddy tourist info due to spending a Sunday on the Uists and I needed to find shops there. I got some names........ but will stock up for two days in Oban the day before.
Lochmaddy has also given me the advice to get Philip's Red Books Outer Hebrides Map £4.99. www.philips-maps.co.uk

I will also get that from Oban the day before and keep it for my other tours to this area in the coming years.

A big thank you to Ticktockmy for his tour report and his nice offer. I have picked up several good ideas from his tour report.

By the way, most of the buses with under floor stowage will carry your bike, if for some reason you need transport around the island. ie something breaks which you cannot repair. I know some people have used the buses to return back to Barra at the end of their ride.

Top Bottom