Looking for route ideas - Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Have a free day on Monday so looking to get out on the bike.

Looking for something in the same vain as Aberfoyle>dukes pass>loch Katrina circular.

About 30/40 miles, some climbing, decent scenery and within an hours drive of Glasgow.

Had a Google but not inspired so any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Slick

Guru
Loch Katrine is a personal favourite of mine, so I reckon you have nailed it first time. If not, there's a cracking little 50 miler from Dumbarton through Glen Fruin to Arrochar and back home via Loch Lomond. In fact, its probably a 50 miler if you start at Balloch.

bruce1530

Guru
Three ferries?

Train or car to Wemyss Bay or Gourock. Park up and head to western ferry. (6 miles Wemyss bay to ferry)
Cross to Hunter's Quay.
Cycle from there to Colintraive (19 miles via Loch Tarsan, with 3 climbs of 100-150m - or take the "long way", 45 miles via Loch Eck, Strachur and Otterferry, the majority of it is dead flat, then there's a 300m hill.
Ferry across to Rhubodach
9 flat miles to Rothesay by the shortest route, but there are others that go less direct.
Ferry back to Wemyss Bay.

So about 35 miles by shortest route, with a few lumpy bits, and 3 boat trips.

the_craig

Über Member
Are you still looking for a route? I've done a couple this year that may fit the bill.

Ignoring the out and back from my house but this route from Kilsyth to Lennoxtown, over the Crow Road to Fintry before coming back along the Carron Valley and over the bak of Tak Ma Doon would be a lovely day out. Kilsyth is 30 minutes up the M80 from the City.

Another route would be to go south to the Red Moss Truck Stop on the B7078 (or the old 74), head over to Crawfordjohn and onto Leadhills and Wanlockhead, Scotland's Highest Village. Here, you have the option of climbing up to the radar station at the top of Lowther Hill. It's a private road with no traffic but a poor surface and wandering sheep stop you being too comfortable. 18%+ section near the top too. Then it's downhill pretty much all the way to Sanquhar, cake and coffee and a break before turning back to the car. The full route is here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom