Looking for shimano gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

Hi

With my new shifter I need a new gear cable.

But I had a look and I need one that has a barrel adjuster already fitted.

So that all I need to do is rewire the cable and I am good go. Is that possible cause I don't really want to installing a barrel adjuster myself. lol

Please post a link if you know anything that sells gear cable and perhaps with housing that has a barrel adjuster already fitted.

Thanks

boydj

Legendary Member
Never seen cable sold with an adjuster fitted. I'm sure there will be a video on youtube to show you how to do it.

C R

Guru
The inline adjuster is not part of the outer, you should just be able to reuse the one you have with a new outer.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You asked this question on the other thread (NB for a front derailleur @Cycleops )
Your OP is not clear. You now have a replacement STI (shifter and brake) but no cable.
You need a new stainless steel gear cable and its outer (about 60cm of outer). Gear cables are 'all' the same length. I assume you have cable cutters and a cable end (cap). The outer will not come with a barrel adjuster fitted.
You likely have two or three choices on barrel adjuster location: up at the STI, at the down tube stop, and on the cable run down between the STI and the down tube. You may have a barrel adjuster already - but it's not clear from your posts. Each of the options I list requires a different barrel adjuster.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
L

Lauris

20201127_140140.jpg
How do I fit the top bit in the shifter?

Ajax Bay

Guru
You have to click down so (if there was a cable in it) all the tension is released (as if in inner ring). Looking in from the side you should be able to see through the hole. Insert cable.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

You have to click down so (if there was a cable in it) all the tension is released (as if in inner ring). Looking in from the side you should be able to see through the hole. Insert cable.
20201127_142318.jpg
there was a cover below the shifter found it

OP
OP
L

Lauris

But now I have another issue. The lower lever does not return. If using the upper lever. The small lever on its own pushed goes back to its places. If you see in the photo there is small metal holding it out. So I'm amusing that small metal bit is done?

Attachments

• 20201127_151349.jpg
    20201127_151349.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom