Looking for Touring Buddy for Ireland 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm thinking of touring for a month next May/June 2011 in Ireland. Ring of Kerry, Dingle and Connemarra for a month. Never toured before and a bit nervous about going alone. Anyone interested? I'm 57 and only taken up cycling again nine months ago. want to take my time, stay in B & B's and do about 50klms per day. :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sounds nice. It's a bit ahead of time for me to be planning, and a whole month is a long time to have off work, but I hope you find a buddy.

BTW, you might well find that by next year you can manage more in distance terms - you might well be up to 50 miles with little trouble. Keep doing the miles now, and you'll have a better idea of your abilities by early next year.

Nothing wrong with short days of course, if you have plenty to see and occupy you along the way.

Also, even if you are travelling alone, you can often 'pick up' friends along the way for a little way. I know what you mean though - I can be a bit shy of talking to people on my own.

OP
OP
J

judee12

Sounds nice. It's a bit ahead of time for me to be planning, and a whole month is a long time to have off work, but I hope you find a buddy.

BTW, you might well find that by next year you can manage more in distance terms - you might well be up to 50 miles with little trouble. Keep doing the miles now, and you'll have a better idea of your abilities by early next year.

Nothing wrong with short days of course, if you have plenty to see and occupy you along the way.

Also, even if you are travelling alone, you can often 'pick up' friends along the way for a little way. I know what you mean though - I can be a bit shy of talking to people on my own.

OP
OP
J

judee12

Gidday There, thanks for your input, much appreciated. It is quite a long time away yet, but at least I've put it out there. Definitely working on that increase of mileage. Probably if I just get out and do my first little trip for maybe a few days, I might get some confidence that I can do back to back days of 40-50 klms per day back to back. :smile:

OP
OP
J

judee12

Dear Garz, Yep, keep you posted. So far next thing is looking for that perfect touring bike, which I have nailed down as Trek 7.3. Currently I have a Jamis Coda Flat Bar racer. I would rather have a more upright bike. What do you ride/

jags

Guru
judee 12 probably best if you could get get your mileage up if you want to tour around our beautiful country that is.
b/b can be expensive around 35 to50 euro per night hotels can be more than that ,so maybe thing about camping or using hostels.
may and june are lovely months but it does rain so take rain gear ,the roads are not to bad last winter they got cut up badly with all the snow and frost but there well on the way to been repaired ,just make sure you have a really good set of strong wheels and tyres you'll be fine.
chech out Boards.ie for more info on cycling in ireland good site.(mizen to malin thats ireland ene to end)
would you believe i haven't toured here as yet but im heading off for a couple days maybe next week waiting for some sunshine hah.
anyway keep us informed as to your plans if you get the weather for your trip theres no where better to ride your bike .
btw in the country side people love to chat so don't be shy .

OP
OP
J

judee12

judee 12 probably best if you could get get your mileage up if you want to tour around our beautiful country that is.
b/b can be expensive around 35 to50 euro per night hotels can be more than that ,so maybe thing about camping or using hostels.
may and june are lovely months but it does rain so take rain gear ,the roads are not to bad last winter they got cut up badly with all the snow and frost but there well on the way to been repaired ,just make sure you have a really good set of strong wheels and tyres you'll be fine.
chech out Boards.ie for more info on cycling in ireland good site.(mizen to malin thats ireland ene to end)
would you believe i haven't toured here as yet but im heading off for a couple days maybe next week waiting for some sunshine hah.
anyway keep us informed as to your plans if you get the weather for your trip theres no where better to ride your bike .
btw in the country side people love to chat so don't be shy .

OP
OP
J

judee12

Dear Jags, Know what you mean about the weather, just came back from ten days in the southern part by car, and it was about two thirds rain and one sunny. But just dying to get out there and do it and Ireland seems like a good place to do it, not tooooo hilly. Yes, people do love to chat, I spent a bit of time asked cyclists about how their bike and where they were going. I'm not shy about coming forward. And my last name is O'Leary! That should tell you a lot!

Will be working on that mileage, but the body is on the mature side and I do the best with what I have to work with! Will check out that website. Would be interested to know about how your tour goes and where you went. Judee 12

jags

Guru
Dear Jags, Know what you mean about the weather, just came back from ten days in the southern part by car, and it was about two thirds rain and one sunny. But just dying to get out there and do it and Ireland seems like a good place to do it, not tooooo hilly. Yes, people do love to chat, I spent a bit of time asked cyclists about how their bike and where they were going. I'm not shy about coming forward. And my last name is O'Leary! That should tell you a lot!

Will be working on that mileage, but the body is on the mature side and I do the best with what I have to work with! Will check out that website. Would be interested to know about how your tour goes and where you went. Judee 12

judee there are plenty of hill's believe me but nothing to serious .im in the same age group as yourself but i still feel young when i'm out here on my bike enjoying the country side.my short tour will be around 150 miles just one night camping i will be taking in a steam trashing festival on the way home i heard it's a great day out.i've only been to kerry /cork a couple times and that was years ago but lovely parts of the country ,clare is the home of trad music in ireland so i would love to do that sometime ,should be plenty of o Leary's in that part of the world.
btw were are you from if you don't mind me asking,have you been to Ireland before i'm just a nose'y bugger.

Top Bottom