Looking over your left shoulder & signalling Right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Oooh - Like the look of that - so I just ordered one

Is it for the bar end or downtube? It would be no use to me on the downtube as I use two panniers.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd suggest you don't need to move into the right-hand lane, merely to the right side of the left-hand lane. It would be fairly obvious what your intention was.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Is it for the bar end or downtube? It would be no use to me on the downtube as I use two panniers.

I want to see if it's any better than my current fettled version on my riser bars

On the single speed that is - I can't see it being of any use on the Inbred, as it would foul the shifters.

EDIT

Here's my current setup - made from a Zefal flip mirror and a cheap bar extender off eBay

IMG_3799.JPG

The Inbred has the same setup, except it's attached further inboard and the bar is longer, as not to foul the shifters (just).

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

I'd suggest you don't need to move into the right-hand lane, merely to the right side of the left-hand lane. It would be fairly obvious what your intention was.

Isn't that inviting close passes on both sides, potentially making himself the meat in a two-car sandwich?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Only if you ride on the line. The idea is to block cars in your lane while making your intention to carry straight on clear. Exactly what you do depends on the exact situation. There are no hard-and-fast formulas.

glasgowcyclist

Only if you ride on the line. The idea is to block cars in your lane while making your intention to carry straight on clear. Exactly what you do depends on the exact situation. There are no hard-and-fast formulas.

I guess that depends on the width of the lanes and the prevalent stupidity of local drivers.
It's not a tactic I'd adopt or recommend.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thank you for making me buy something I didn't know existed, didn't know I would need if it existed :laugh:

Threevok

Well it arrived today and I am suitably impressed with it so far. I shall test it out on the way home.

IMG_3837 (1).JPG

As you can see, I have it further inboard at the moment, but (providing I am satisfied) It will replace the fettled mirror to the right.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Well it arrived today and I am suitably impressed with it so far. I shall test it out on the way home.

View attachment 416226

As you can see, I have it further inboard at the moment, but (providing I am satisfied) It will replace the fettled mirror to the right.
I bought one of those some time ago, tried it at the edge of the bar and it was no good because I kept knocking it with my hand, so I got the bar end instead. That location makes more sense to avoid interference, but can you see around your own self with the mirror there?

Threevok

I bought one of those some time ago, tried it at the edge of the bar and it was no good because I kept knocking it with my hand, so I got the bar end instead. That location makes more sense to avoid interference, but can you see around your own self with the mirror there?

It seems to be OK where it is - we shall see on my journey home.

I may not be able to move it outboard though, as I think my wrist would be in the way. That's why the existing one is so low down,

If it is OK at that location, I may try one for the Inbred too, as it won't foul the shifters

Threevok

UPDATE: Tried it this morning in the position of my old mirror, as the inboard position wasn't suitable as @C R suggested

The vertical field of vision is better than my fettled one, but the horizontal is not as good and, because the mirror isn't as far out, I cannot see directly behind up close. I also found, because of the shape of the mirror, I found the knuckle of my thumb touching it.

However, it is usable and I will keep it on for the rest of the week, to see if I get used to it.

Top Bottom