Looking to apparently super rare 52/53T 110BCD Chainring

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by willhub, 20 Aug 2012.

1. So I'm wanting to replace my current chainring as it looks very worn (see picture below):

2012-08-20%2009.52.19.jpg

I've looked all over the Internets, and can hardly find them, either they're out of stock, super expensive, or don't exist. I'd have more luck finding a Unicorn.

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells them for under £20, I was lucky enough to get my current one for £8 on The Bay, but it worn away like no tomorrow.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Can you not just replace it with a different brand?

3. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere. Anyway, 52/3 110bcd rings are hardly rare, so I can't see the problem.

4. Well they are rare because I can't find many.

5. Can't find 'many'..? You only need to find one...and there's one right here in the link below. Granted, it's not under £20, but then you already know what happens when you buy cheap rings made of cheese....

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b34s113p1727

6. albion

albion Veteran

Just buy a new chainset.

Single rings can sometimes be more expensive than a whole set.

7. I have a Shimano R700 chainset, I'd be looking for a new one of those for under £30

8. buddha

buddha Veteran

9. Screw it, might just hunt through my junk and whack at 50 ring on again, hope it does not cause me too much troubles downgrading from a 52.

10. it's not a 'downgrade' and other than the time taken to fit it, it won't 'cause you any trouble' - why would it?

11. Well I'll be spinning out where I would not be before no? What about sprinting?

12. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Hoho - no strava sections for you. :tongue: What do you have on the back ?
    I run 53 x 13 and only spin out on descents, where it's faster to aero tuck. A 50 x 12 or 11 is bigger than a 53 x 13.

Try Ribble for their stronglight or TA chain rings - they ain't cheap. You are looking at a minimum of £30 for a big ring.

13. In the real world, it's unlikely. I race on a 50 and I've not spun out yet - it's good for 40mph if you've got the cadence.

14. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Only girls have compacts anyway. Your BCD should be 130 Shimano or 135 Campagnolo. Simple !

15. I'll race you on my compact, Mr Fossy - last one to the finish line is a girl..?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice