looking to join the fun...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
i've a few short rides near me that are just a nice ride out so looking for an old school bike to add to the fun. Nothing too classy or worth a mint just something to enjoy. May in the future try my luck and sign up to Eroica Britannia or the like. Plus i've a few old bike spanners hiding in my one of my dad's tool boxers.
So might as well have a bike to go with them :smile:.

Not looking to build one or fix one up too much. Mrs 73 is ok with yet another bike but having bike bits all over the place or a one that looks a bit of reck is pushing it. :shy:

So what size frame is best i'm 5'9 ,31 inside leg.

I'm sure lot's of other questions will come once I find something but knowing what size is a pretty big starting point. :laugh:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@tom73 you are about same size as me and i swap between 21 1/2" and can just about manage a 24" if i am careful
So go and try a few old steelies and see how you get on
If you are ever passing through Northamptonshire feel free to give me a shout and you are more than welcome to come and try any of my old steelies for size .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Last edited:

Venod

Eh up

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Always best to try before you buy but at 5’ 9’’ I’d be looking at 21”- 22”.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
well thanks guys CC comes up with the goods again ...:smile:
I intend to try them just need to know what to look for

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
well thanks guys CC comes up with the goods again ...:smile:
I intend to try them just need to know what to look for

Most will require a bit of fettling and if the basic frame and fittings are sound you'll probably need; new inner and outer cables, brake blocks, tyres, bar tape. You should also repack the hubs with grease and check the BB for wear as well as the chainrings, chain and block/ cassette.

Top Bottom