Looking to powdercoat and chrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PHL67

Veteran
i have this guy I know who says he can get my frame powder coated in white for me for £50.00. His daughter works for the firm. Is this a good price. Also looking for some chroming to be done on forks and rear dropouts. Frame is Stratton Reynolds 653. Any ideas ! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 67

Tom B

Guru
Never had a frame powdercoated, but I had a couple of old Sewing machine legs done for £100.

This included bead blasting some fiddly shapes and detailing and coating.

According to them it wasn't the cost of materials but the time setting up, cleaning down etc I think £50 is fair. Can you look at previous work?

OP
OP
PHL67

PHL67

Veteran
He has a frame she had done so I can view when I drop it off. Looking to get forks and rear dropouts chromed somewhere. Should I get this done first or after the powder coating !

OP
OP
PHL67

PHL67

Veteran
Sounds about right to me as well .

Chroming is expensive so i am told
Expensive but I think it would finish it off nicely especially as I am looking to keep it once rebuilt.
Also thinking of going to Stratton shop in London so they can see the frame as it may be a Chas Roberts build so would like to know.

The chroming needs some thinking.

Chrome is not like paint in that it can be neatly masked off. Further, a layer of chrome on steel is quite thick since it is first plated with copper, then chrome, which leaves a considerably thick ridge. Even worse, Chrome is a dip process by which I mean that you cannot choose an arbitrary shampe for the chrome to follow such as the countours of a lug or such. Imagine suspending the part of the frame, say the rear drop-outs in a tub of water. The water creates a straight line. That's where the chrome line will be. Therefore you cannot just chrome a small part of the frame. You have to chrome the entire fork, say, and then paint over the chrome.

Powder coating is also not the best process for a frame since you will need to machine off facing surfaces such as the BB, drop-outs, mudguard mounting points etc.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Expensive but I think it would finish it off nicely especially as I am looking to keep it once rebuilt.
Also thinking of going to Stratton shop in London so they can see the frame as it may be a Chas Roberts build so would like to know.

I would take to shop before powder coating, just in case it hides the Info required to id it.

Chrome looks good with a good paint job for sure . Frame has no chrome now why change it ?

See @Yellow Saddle comments as very true

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
£50 is about right for blast and 1 layer powder coating. Have had a few frames powder coated and the place I use in Newcastle are great and know how to do frames.

Never had to machine face threads as they protect them with special tape on any area that shouldn't be powder coated. If they can do that to protect threads etc then they should be able to do for chrome plating but would definitely require more prep time if possible.
I have also had 2 layered powder coating to add a mica/pearlescece to the finish which looked fabulous.

Venod

Eh up
A bit of info here on chrome plating.

http://www.ellisbriggscycles.co.uk/chrome-plating-on-vintage-and-classic-bikes/

Some prices here as an example.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/reno_chrome.htm

I once had a whole track frame chromed by an industrial chrome outfit, it was ok but not up to the standard of the ones in the Ellis Briggs link. and I didn't know at the time the warning about chroming certain tube sets, so I would choose a cycle frame renovator if I was to chrome again.

I have had a frame finished by Ellis Briggs, and was very satisfied, but there was no chroming applied.

I've had a quote for £10 to strip the frame and £30 ish to p/c so your quote seems reasonable. Just make sure they use fine grade blast media otherwise you get pitting on the frame that is hard to mask (as instructed by the powder coater)

S-Express

If you are doing a serious resto (and if you are talking about chrome, then it sounds like it) then don't powdercoat. Get it wet sprayed and do the job properly. Powdercoat is great for gates, railings or lobster pots, but will not do a lugged frame justice, IMO.

OP
OP
PHL67

PHL67

Veteran
A bit of info here on chrome plating.

http://www.ellisbriggscycles.co.uk/chrome-plating-on-vintage-and-classic-bikes/

Some prices here as an example.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/reno_chrome.htm

I once had a whole track frame chromed by an industrial chrome outfit, it was ok but not up to the standard of the ones in the Ellis Briggs link. and I didn't know at the time the warning about chroming certain tube sets, so I would choose a cycle frame renovator if I was to chrome again.

I have had a frame finished by Ellis Briggs, and was very satisfied, but there was no chroming applied.
Thanks. I think I read the Ellis Briggs brief and they said certain parts of frame you cannot do as the metal is to thin. Reynolds 653 was one of them. I may just get the forks done. Rethink the issue I think.

davidphilips

Veteran
i have had a few frames powder coated in ni by ic coatings they cost £50 each for single colour they also done a few bits handlebars racks etc (in black) for free great job, price included blasting frame they must have masked bb threads etc as threads etc where ok, £50 seems a good price per frame.

frames looked like new when done only transfers required.

Top Bottom