Looking to powdercoat and chrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PHL67

PHL67

Veteran
i have had a few frames powder coated in ni by ic coatings they cost £50 each for single colour they also done a few bits handlebars racks etc (in black) for free great job, price included blasting frame they must have masked bb threads etc as threads etc where ok, £50 seems a good price per frame.

frames looked like new when done only transfers required.
Thanks.

OP
OP
PHL67

PHL67

Veteran
£50 is about right for blast and 1 layer powder coating. Have had a few frames powder coated and the place I use in Newcastle are great and know how to do frames.

Never had to machine face threads as they protect them with special tape on any area that shouldn't be powder coated. If they can do that to protect threads etc then they should be able to do for chrome plating but would definitely require more prep time if possible.
I have also had 2 layered powder coating to add a mica/pearlescece to the finish which looked fabulous.
Thanks.

A bit of info here on chrome plating.

http://www.ellisbriggscycles.co.uk/chrome-plating-on-vintage-and-classic-bikes/

Some prices here as an example.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/reno_chrome.htm

I once had a whole track frame chromed by an industrial chrome outfit, it was ok but not up to the standard of the ones in the Ellis Briggs link. and I didn't know at the time the warning about chroming certain tube sets, so I would choose a cycle frame renovator if I was to chrome again.

I have had a frame finished by Ellis Briggs, and was very satisfied, but there was no chroming applied.
Only £210 to chrome the whole frame and forks? That's cheaper than having them enamelled nearly! Hmm a nice "chromovelato" finish anyone?

Brand X

I was just thinking; how much extra would it cost to have two bikes done at the same time, powder-coated in the same colour?

OP
OP
PHL67

PHL67

Veteran
Frame now back and started to build. So far got 600 parts on it with Cinelli stem and handlebars. Had it repainted in Leeds by Bob Jackson and also had original transfers sourced and put on then lacquered over.

Attachments

• IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom