Looking to replace cassette, but I'm not sure what these number mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

I'm looking to replace my cassette, but I'm struggling to know which on to get for my bike. I have a Sram PG 850 8 speed cassette, but I now see there are a choice of five of these cassettes on amazon and they all look the same apart from a number. These are the numbers 11-28t, 11-30t, 11-32t, 12-23t, 12-26t. Does anyone know what do these numbers mean and will make a difference which one I get? The Bike I have is a Giant Defy 4, if that helps to narrow it down to which one I need. Cheers!

midlife

Guru
The numbers are the sizes of the smallest and largest cogs. What's wrong with the one you have and I guess you have the tools and new chain?

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Here is the bike I have (link below) and yes I just want to swap it for the same cassette without altering the gearing. I'm replacing the cassette because it worn and yes I have the tools.

I see mine says 11-32, but it doesn't say 11-32t. Does this 11-32 also mean it's a 11-32t?

My bike looks like this one, but I think mines 2015 not 2016. Mines Black and white but the marking and everything is the same.
I also noticed on wiggle it says MTB, which I thought stood for Mountain Bike.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-4-2016

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The t just means teeth I think. Same thing, retailers are lazy on websites!
Can be used on MTB or road bikes. You can use a Shimano cassette and KMC chain too if cheaper

What’s the condition of the chain rings?

OP
OP
M

MBosh

I've just checked and mine is 2015. So shall I just get the 11-32t then? Cheers!

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just checked and mine is 2015. So shall I just get the 11-32t then? Cheers!
Yes - this one https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...ram-pg-850-8-speed-cassette-11-32-778233.html

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
11-32 is the cassette you would find on a road bike. 11-42 is the cassette you would find on a mountainbike or gravel bike.

The more teeth on the cog, the easier it is to pedal. The 42 tooth cog is the big one you see on a mountain bike. You can spin up mountains on it.

Top Bottom