Looking to set a bike/map site up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I'm looking at setting a Google map site for cycling and marking on points of interest such as views, cafés and bike shops for sales and repairs. There could even be reviews of shops. First of all, does anything like this already exist? Secondly, would it be worth doing? By that, I mean would you (or, in your opinion, people you know) use it?

I saw this site: http://map.1sw.org.uk/ and thought it would be good on a larger scale.

The basic map would be phase one. After that then it'd do route planning. I've done a little iPhone development and could probably write a tracking app.

Any feedback gratefully received.

sidevalve

Über Member
Not sure if there is anything like it but it seems a reasonable idea. The big problem would be to keep it up to date. Views and routes are OK but to include cycle shops is risky. You won't be popular if, for example a cycle shop you rated well closes, leaving some poor guy with a ten mile walk in the middle of a long tour.
Further, customer reviews can be pretty varied, it could be the shop or it could be the customer being a total twonk. Local knowledge of routes might be good or "favourite rides" would perhaps be handy for those visiting an unknown area but it will require a LOT of care.

Top Bottom