Looking to start doing a few more hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zipp2001

Veteran
I'm not a good climber, too heavy, I will stop if necessary not one who believes it's cheating, I just choose a point in front of me 50 - 100 yards, lamp post, gate post, line in road, bush anything, I ride to that & as I approach I look for the next point, the top eventually comes

I'm 8.42 stones so not the lightest on the block but love to climb.

Venod

Eh up
Sorry I'm 15.57 stone, 218 lbs. US (Clydesdale Category Rider)

I have often read the term Clydesdale in relation to US riders, I just thought it meant a big heavy rider, is there a weight, above which a rider is considered a Clydesdale.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Depends on how fit you're and weight. 18% could be done on really tall gearing if you're very fit, because you could just muscle it up. If you weigh 100kg-16stone and not so fit even a 32t cog isn't going to do it for you

I currently weigh 100kg and are reasonably fit, I can power up steep hills by grinding either stood or seated. I prefer to be able to spin so I have low gearing of 26t crank and upto 40t cassette cog. This allows me to spin up 20% + gradients whilst seated. Dont get me wrong, climbing really steep hills will have anyone puffing and blowing. It just depends how fit you're whether you can recover after the crest or just collapse in a heap
I tend to fall to my knees and offer up prayers of thanks.

Zipp2001

Veteran
I have often read the term Clydesdale in relation to US riders, I just thought it meant a big heavy rider, is there a weight, above which a rider is considered a Clydesdale.

A Clydesdale is any male rider over 200 lbs. More and more mountain bike and triathlons races have that as a race category. I have heard that some road bike races are considering adding a Clydesdale category.

I haven't raced in over 25 years (raced road 15 years) but am looking at doing a mountain bike race in my area because they have a 50+ Clydesdale category.

I did a timed event called Ride Around the Bear (discontinued last year). 100 miles with 10,000 ft gain. I used to avoid climbing being a big guy at 230 pounds. Then I was challenged to do this ride by a buddy who said I was too big to climb. I started doing 30,000-40,000 ft of climbing every month for 6 months. When the ride came, I actually did pretty good.

Out of 400, I placed #123. Funny when you are a big guy and start passing skinny guys 40 miles up in the mountains. :laugh: Nothing super steep, long consistent climbs but climbing is climbing after a while.

I did it on a standard double 53/39 crank - 12/25 cassette.

7:38 official time/ 7:10 ride time, about 30 minutes rest.

Ended up doing the timed event 4 times over the years. Climbing as a big guy is awesome because other riders don't expect you do well, or even expect you to do OK ha ha!

IF YOU WANT TO BE GOOD AT HILLS, YOU JUST KEEP CLIMBING THEM HAHA!

cannondale-1.jpg
TheBear_zpsfee335ef.jpg

This is a ride I did with a skinny friend couple years back. Local mountain road. 20 mile climb just about 5,000 ft gain.

Some of the climb but most of the descent gives you and idea of the road. I got to the bottom and didn't have quite 5,000 ft so I turned around and went back up for a bit to get my goal for the day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom