Looking to value my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickTB

Veteran
I’m putting my bike up for sale and I’d like some guidance on price. Is this allowed? If so I’ll post pictures and details. If not, is there a specific area on the forum I should be looking?
TIA
Nick

Slick

Guru
There is a vintage section if it's a classic but other than that you are free to pose any questions you like. :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
There actually nothing on eBay that I can see. It’s a Marin Lucas Valley hybrid
Post some details. how old is it, where is it located? Would you be prepared to courier etc
Probably £200-250 if older maybe?m
Google brings up a gumtree ad in Wales for £250 and an old Schpock ad at £200
Marin isn’t a very well known brand so won’t carry such a premium like the biggies

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Bikes are selling really well at the moment and in my opinion fetching well in excess of pre-Covid prices.
Marin have been around since 1986 and are well regarded, it should sell quickly. My Marin Muirwoods is 20 years old and still going strong, great bike.

Post some pics and info and we can all advise.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Marin isn’t a very well known brand so won’t carry such a premium like the biggies

Where have you been since 1986 !!!!
Marin are fabulous bikes owned mine since new from around the same era , still get's used or would get used if not following islolation guidelines , and i wouldn't swap it for anything .
Sorry @vickster only messing with you :laugh:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Post some details. how old is it, where is it located? Marin isn’t a very well known brand so won’t carry such a premium like the biggies
🤣🤣🤣

vickster

Legendary Member
Not a well known brand? In the late 80s and early 90s all the boys wanted a Marin, or perhaps an Orange or a Diamond Back, those were the more exotic and iconic brands of that time for those brought up on Raleigh bikes.
The millennials buying bikes for hundreds at the moment weren’t born in the 80s though and the old blokes who were won’t spend more than £50 on a bike :whistle:

My point is look at how many Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Boardman hybrids are for sale and sold nationally on eBay...and how many Marins...and how many Marin dealers there are in the UK vs those selling the above brands...

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
Post some details. how old is it, where is it located? Would you be prepared to courier etc
Probably £200-250 if older maybe?m
Google brings up a gumtree ad in Wales for £250 and an old Schpock ad at £200
MArin is very well respected in my opinion. I sold a Marin hybrid a few years back on Ebay and it was snapped up

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
R to hanks for the replies so far.
So it’s a Marin Lucas Valley as above. Bought in 2016 brand new from Broadrib cycles. Used for the London to Brighton a month later then put away pretty much until Covid. It’s now done about 1k mikes and just had it’s first service. Alloy frame carbon forks and stays. Size is 20.5, all Sora.
Some pics to follow

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Marins are certainly well known and well regarded by MTB'ers, being one of the original makes that brought them to the masses. I wouldn't turn down an 80's/90's 26" rigid one if it turned up at the right money, but they were always uncommon compared to the home-grown stuff.

Top Bottom