Looking to value my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran

si_c

Guru
I'd say about £300 - £350 is about right, I bought a Trek alloy road bike last year in the same condition for £350. With the COVID premium on bikes right now that seems fair.

Drago

Legendary Member
Marin not a well known brand? That's like saying Trotsky was not a well known lefty, or Ken Barlow not a well known lothario!

The slight issue the OP has is that Marin still try to live off their name of 30-35 years ago and over price their bikes accordingly, so products with their moniker sold over here usually retail a bit higher than comparable products from other quality manufacturers. Sometimes a good deal higher. This is unjustified, and is perhaps part of the reason they're no longer a big volume seller over here - not enough misty eyed old fools to support such a tactic.

This doesn't translate to the used market, where the new cost is an irrelevance. I'd say around the 300 sheets mark, but it'd still be a fair deal if you let the buyer beat you down to 275. It's a sellers market at the moment though, so i wouldn't go lower than that. Those frames never drew particular praise from pundits, so having sexy carbon stays won't justify an elevated price over an otherwise similar decade-ish old alloy frame design.

It would probably make a very capable commuter tool, so I'd advertise it as such as that's were the dollar is at the moment.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t forget eBay take 10%. Gumtree may be better if you’re in a well populated area but you’ll need to deal with scammers emailing and texting :rolleyes:

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
I’m in deepest darkest Essex so not many people about up here

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
I’d be happy to deliver myself within a reasonable area for petrol money, but postage or courier would be difficult

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Not a well known brand? In the late 80s and early 90s all the boys wanted a Marin, or perhaps an Orange or a Diamond Back, those were the more exotic and iconic brands of that time for those brought up on Raleigh bikes.
Marins, Konas, Oranges, Breezers, GTs, Cannondales, Gary Fishers...the early 90s were the days of beautiful MTBs! If I win the lottery I'll restore a load of them...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Marins, Konas, Oranges, Breezers, GTs, Cannondales, Gary Fishers...the early 90s were the days of beautiful MTBs! If I win the lottery I'll restore a load of them...

My next door neighbour is late 70s, he told me about 3 years ago that he had an "old bike" in the garage and could I look at it to see if it's junk or useful. It turned out that it's a mint Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo frame and Rock Shox fork, about 1994 year, all bubble wrapped and factory fresh. He has no idea how it ended up in there with no wheels etc but he presumes it's his son's. His son has learning difficulties / special needs, and he has no idea how it ended up in there either!

I told him there are enthusiasts who would like it very much and probably pay a decent little amount for it... he said he might see about selling it, but it's still there 3 years later. 🤷‍♂️

You do wonder how many nice frames are hidden in garages and sheds the world over.

Top Bottom