Looks like a bargain to me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
That's a very good price for a decent spec Ti build.

They've also got their Ti road frames (both disc & rim versions) currently at £799 & £699, which look like crazy bargains to me.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/frames/road-bike-frames

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
They've also got their Ti road frames (both disc & rim versions) currently at £799 & £699, which look like crazy bargains to me.

They are crazy prices for Ti, if PX can sell them at this price and presumably make profit on the sale, are the very expensive frames out there a rip off ?

Xipe Totec

They are crazy prices for Ti, if PX can sell them at this price and presumably make profit on the sale, are the very expensive frames out there a rip off ?
Those are pretty close to half RRP, so I'm more inclined to think they're selling off old stock prior to new versions appearing.

I recently built up a bike around their Tempest gravel frame (must do a build thread) which they were selling with £300 off a few months ago. They are very, very good, construction quality is flawless and it rides beautifully, so I really don't know how much better a high-end branded titanium frame would be.

Almost tempted to pick up their rim brake road frame & transfer everything from my old Dolan L'Etape onto it...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Talk about marketing and trying to benefit from nostalgia and evocative names from the past, Holdsworth, Tempest, Spitfire and Hurricane :smile:

Milzy

Guru
Those are pretty close to half RRP, so I'm more inclined to think they're selling off old stock prior to new versions appearing.

I recently built up a bike around their Tempest gravel frame (must do a build thread) which they were selling with £300 off a few months ago. They are very, very good, construction quality is flawless and it rides beautifully, so I really don't know how much better a high-end branded titanium frame would be.

Almost tempted to pick up their rim brake road frame & transfer everything from my old Dolan L'Etape onto it...
The frames are made by Linkseys so must be received on a boat from the USA.
Dolan L’Etape’s are brilliant too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I signed up to the Planet X email list because they sometimes give a bike of choice to a lucky subscriber. I hadn't anticipated that I would get a DAILY email marketing these bikes. In fact, some days I get 2 emails from them!

Milzy

Guru
There are planning on fitting a 172.5 crank to my small frame as they don’t have any 170’s in. This is poor but hopefully down the line they’ll get some in & I can remind them.

Xipe Totec

You need forks £200 head set £70 seat clamp £10 no head badges on spitfire. It’s not as much as a bargain as it first looks IMO.
It it compared to the £1099 they typically sell it at. And other, less expensive components are available.

Talk about marketing and trying to benefit from nostalgia and evocative names from the past, Holdsworth, Tempest, Spitfire and Hurricane :smile:
Apparently the range used to include a Typhoon & a Meteor! Happy to say (much as I do appreciate the old warbirds & love to see them flying) that played no part in my decision when I bought my Tempest - it was just the most suitable & affordable Ti frame I could find. Tbh I don't really think of what I built as a 'Planet X Tempest', it's sort of its own thing - some might say less a bicycle & more a farcycle. :smile:

The frames are made by Linkseys so must be received on a boat from the USA.
Dolan L’Etape’s are brilliant too.
Tried to find out where they were made (the frame itself has no manufacturer info or country of origin) and the only thing I could find was that the early ones were created by the late Mark Reilly. I assumed the current range were likely sourced from a high-volume/low cost manufacturer like Waltly - would certainly be cool if they did turn out to be rebadged Lysnkeys though.

I do love my L'Etape - but it does my back in these days & the post-apocalyptic local roads rattle my fillings out! Hence the springy Ti with plenty of room for fat tyres.

Milzy

Guru
It it compared to the £1099 they typically sell it at. And other, less expensive components are available.

Apparently the range used to include a Typhoon & a Meteor! Happy to say (much as I do appreciate the old warbirds & love to see them flying) that played no part in my decision when I bought my Tempest - it was just the most suitable & affordable Ti frame I could find. Tbh I don't really think of what I built as a 'Planet X Tempest', it's sort of its own thing - some might say less a bicycle & more a farcycle. :smile:

Tried to find out where they were made (the frame itself has no manufacturer info or country of origin) and the only thing I could find was that the early ones were created by the late Mark Reilly. I assumed the current range were likely sourced from a high-volume/low cost manufacturer like Waltly - would certainly be cool if they did turn out to be rebadged Lysnkeys though.

I do love my L'Etape - but it does my back in these days & the post-apocalyptic local roads rattle my fillings out! Hence the springy Ti with plenty of room for fat tyres.
Maybe they’re made in the Far East or Sheffield but I heard Linkseys from someone. The full bike with SRAM force is 1800 which still isn’t bad. At least you get the Pewter badge.

Top Bottom