Loose quick release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian_1967

Was tightening up my rear wheel today. Notice that although I was closing the lever to a Normal tightness, the wheel remained loose with the left hand side of the QR not holding the wheel on. The right hand side was fine.

I'm stumped on this one!

aberal

Veteran
Obvious question, forgive me if too obvious, but have you tried tightening the nut on the LHS?

Tim Hall

How much axle protrudes from the lock nut on either side of the wheel? To have the QR work, the protrusion must be less than the thickness of the dropout.

OP
OP
I

Ian_1967

Yes, have tried tightening LHS. The QR was working fine for ages. Then suddenly not at al!

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you taken it out and had a look at it? I would go with the above if you are in any way unsure.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Place a dab of grease on the cam of the qr lever, it's likely that its binding and "feels" tight...but isn't...trust me, after a great deal of time and some expense I learnt this lesson last week.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It sounds to me like the wheel bearings may need looking at, don't forget there are 2 on the drive side (an outer one in the freehub) The QR skewer is simply a long bolt that runs through a hollow axle and can be removed simply by undoing the nut and sliding it out. I don't see how it can tighten one side and not the other when it tightens against both dropouts.

si_c

Guru
It sounds to me like the wheel bearings may need looking at, don't forget there are 2 on the drive side (an outer one in the freehub) The QR skewer is simply a long bolt that runs through a hollow axle and can be removed simply by undoing the nut and sliding it out. I don't see how it can tighten one side and not the other when it tightens against both dropouts.

It can't, it has to apply even pressure on both sides.

Edit: Just pull out the skewer, make sure the springs are ok, and one isn't working but the other goosed, that could be the only way I can think of that one side is tighter than the other, if the spring tension is pulling one side out. If that's the case, check the cam as @jonny jeez said above.

Top Bottom