Loose spokes, rear wheel untrue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
While riding my bike loaded with a couple of panniers and a backpack (probably 15kg max total, I'm approx 90kg). Noticed the bike developed a fairly substantial wobble which got worse very quickly and I eventually had to stop. Turned out back wheel was untrue and almost every spoke was loose.

From googling and looking at the forum archives it seems clear easiest solution is to go to a LBS and get it sorted proffessionally, but what caused this? Have been neglecting some proper maintainance on the wheel, or sometimes it just goes all of a sudden anyhow? The bike is an Airnimal Explorer, I've had it since around Easter and it's probably done 2-3k miles.

yenrod

Weight !

domtyler

Über Member
Any decent wheel would cope with that weight and far more to boot. I'd complain considering the short length of time and small number of miles you have done on it.

robbarker

It wasn't tight enough to begin with. Take it back to the bike shop - they will be able to retension the wheel and should do it for nothing.

Bigtallfatbloke

..this is an interesting topic for me. I broke a spoke on my tour this year (and also last year) and in both cases the wheel was untrue as a result and I needed to get to a LBS. In germany it was a 5 minute job, in the UK it took longer...but I may be in France soon and I am concerned I may not be able to find a LBS so easily....so what can i do to repair this myself on the road?
I am guessing I would need to carry a spare spoke or two...I have a multi tool with a spoke tightener tool on it, but how can I true the wheel on the road without a truing wheel? As a guitarist it occurred to me that I can pluck each spoke and hear a tone...in theory then if I plcuk each spoke in the same place if the tension is th esame in each spoke they will all produce the same pitch/tone right?....hmmm...I am unsure if playing tunes on my rear wheel in the rian next to the road is going to help much though!

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Yeah, I had a quick go at fixing it myself, purely to get home. Spokes tightened up but the wheel ended up more bent with the tire hitting the chainstay. A couple of the nipples had pulled thru the rim, so not sure could do it easily anyhow. Thanks guys, will take it back to the shop and let them worry about it.

Bodhbh said:
While riding my bike loaded with a couple of panniers and a backpack (probably 15kg max total, I'm approx 90kg). Noticed the bike developed a fairly substantial wobble which got worse very quickly and I eventually had to stop. Turned out back wheel was untrue and almost every spoke was loose.

From googling and looking at the forum archives it seems clear easiest solution is to go to a LBS and get it sorted proffessionally, but what caused this? Have been neglecting some proper maintainance on the wheel, or sometimes it just goes all of a sudden anyhow? The bike is an Airnimal Explorer, I've had it since around Easter and it's probably done 2-3k miles.

DON'T touch it

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
spandex said:
If the bike is new take it back to the shop and they will fix it for you. By the sound of it you have not taken it back to the shop for its first service? I think it is time....
No I haven't. Think they threw one in after first month or 100 miles, whichever soonest. I probably should have, but with the way things pan out getting to the shop and work would mean dropping it off for the week.

kyuss

Veteran
Bodhbh said:
Yeah, I had a quick go at fixing it myself, purely to get home. Spokes tightened up but the wheel ended up more bent with the tire hitting the chainstay. A couple of the nipples had pulled thru the rim, so not sure could do it easily anyhow. Thanks guys, will take it back to the shop and let them worry about it.

There's your problem right there. No amount of Sheldon advice and nipple tweaking is going to sort that. Dodgy goods, get thee back to the shop.

Top Bottom