Lorry driver closes Forth Road Bridge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
What a plank. Despite signs to tell him that the bridge was closed to high sided vehicles due to high winds, he decided to chance it, and this was the result:

JS108934418-1.jpg

The incident happened about 2am today, and the rescue operation couldn't go ahead until the winds eased. The bridge is still closed in both directions, and after the lorry is moved they will have barrier repairs to carry out. There is traffic chaos for miles around on the diversion routes, and the driver is getting pelters on TruckNet UK..
Curries European may well be looking for a new driver, but from the stories I have heard about them in the trade, it's yet another "revolving door" company.
Driver has been charged with dangerous driving, and he's very lucky that there was nothing on the carriageway he was blown onto, right across the central barrier.

Attachments

• JS108934418-1.jpg
    JS108934418-1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
What an utter weenis.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Agreed.

I wonder if he got any "encouragement" from his employers to hurry up and deliver the cargo.
Quite possible, from my insider knowledge of the industry. He might have been heading for Amazon in Dunfermline with a pre-arranged book-in time which he was going to miss if he had gone the diversion route (which takes about an hour extra, via the Kincardine bridge). Or he could have been running out of driving time on his tacho, or any number of other factors. Speculation of course, but not unusual scenarios.
More likely that he was empty and on his way to collect freight. An empty trailer only weighs about 11 tonnes, and with those curtains down the side they act like sails. A fully loaded trailer weighs a maximum of about 36 tonnes (depends what it's carrying, obviously) and I doubt if the wind was strong enough to blow that over.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
What sort of barriers?

Top Bottom