losing it fast!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
up until 2 weeks ago i was doing approx on average 125 miles a week with at least 1 ride of 50 miles plus. after a break of 2 weeks, 1 of them an all inclusive holiday in turkey where 'free beer and food' was on tap, ive been out for the first time today and struggled to do 17 miles. although i did manage an average of 17mph.
i really cant believe how its possible that a person can lose fitness so fast!
after building up through the summer to what i thought was a decent level of fitness im gutted ive got to start again! no more holidays for me!

two weeks of inactivity, poor diet, alchohol and inevitable weight gain - who would have guessed..?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I find its not really lost fitness, just a need to re-train. You'll probably find in a week or two of training you'll be near enough back where you were.

Occasionally I dont run for 3-4 weeks, the first run back I struggle with both speed and distance, the next day I can hardly walk and its depressing thinking im set back months and months, but a week or so later ill be back where I was :smile:

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
I find its not really lost fitness, just a need to re-train. You'll probably find in a week or two of training you'll be near enough back where you were.

Occasionally I dont run for 3-4 weeks, the first run back I struggle with both speed and distance, the next day I can hardly walk and its depressing thinking im set back months and months, but a week or so later ill be back where I was :smile:
thanks for this. i feel reassured!

Steve H

Large Member
First time out after a break always feels tough. Get a couple more rides in though and you will be flying again. Apart from the weight gain, the break has probably helped your legs properly recover from training so will be ready to train hard again

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You will soon get back to it !!!
I have effectively a taken the whole year off proper cycling what with sprog #2 arriving so my club runs are about 1 a month with commuting and the odd 25 mile fast loop.
My fitness and weight have taken a hit but long term i aim to get back to form next year .......

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am one of those people with a body that responds quickly to exercise, or the lack of it. I can get fit in a few weeks of hard effort but it doesn't take me long to start getting unfit again.

Over the last few years, I have cycled so infrequently that I was effectively detraining between rides. It is why I have spent so much time grovelling at the rear on my own hilly forum rides! On the rare times that I rode 3 or 4 times a week for a month, I started to get fit again.

I have ill for nearly 2 months, which has severely affected my ability to walk, and as a result my leg muscles have atrophied.

I think the message is use it, or lose it!

Top Bottom