Losing weight..... Or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tadpole

What is a good diet for cycling? I'm eating a lot but probably all the wrong things.
No such thing as "wrong things" Portion control, eat smaller meals. That is it. You want a pie, have one, but only one, and maybe once a month, Couple of beers when you fancy, but not all night drinking. A curry with rice,as a treat. For me cycling everyday at a reasonable speed, means I can eat pretty much any food I like, and lose weight. 90lbs since Pentacost 2011.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It just comes down to will-power...

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We have lost weight with cycling but the weight loss has been in conjunction with slimming world (we get lots of cous cous and pasta on SW). I have shifted half a stone and the OH has lost a little more.
We do have the occasional take-away, bit of choccy etc but its a treat and not the norm. The first 2 weeks were the worst but neither of us feel deprived of nice food in any way.

Its easy to think that you can just pedal away and then eat just anything as you are exercising. Sadly it doesn't quite work like that. You should notice a certain amount of toning up and possibly some inch loss so you might need smaller clothes, which has happened in our case. Each person is different though, what works for some doesn't for others.

Enjoy your riding and congrats on your new bike.

Saddle bum

Über Member
In my own experience of losing many kilos over the years, exercise does not help much, but can stop you putting it on again.

However, it can create (extra) muscle, which is extra weight, so you have to lose fat at the same time.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
. Maybe I've turned some fat into muscle.

You can not turn fat into muscle, it is a urban myth.
Muscle is used for movement and some involuntry fuctions such as pumping blood, digesting food, breathing etc. Muscles are made of protein.
Fat a storage system for energy........ made of, well fat.
here is no mechanism which turns fat to protein, you need to look at this as a two step process and.. 1) burn fat ...and.... 2) build muscle. You can not turn one to the other.

You can put on weight during this process as muscle weighs more than fat.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I can tell you I`ve been cycling alot this past year much more than I used to my weight has hardly dropped but my waistline and body shape has changed. Folk comment on the amount of weight I have supposedly shifted but its not very much at all. I`m 6ft and 97kg, ideally would like to get down to 90kg but think its going to take me a while wrong side of 40 now ^_^

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
In the same way that 1lb of lead weighs the same as 1lb of feathers :rolleyes:
Muscle is more dense, like some people...

:laugh: fair play... I knew what I mean, but bank holiday beer pulled a fast one. Equally glad someone corrected this though.
Although in context 1cm square of muscle has more weight than 1cm square of fat..... but it was explained very badly

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cut down on booze, eat more protein, drink more water, count calories, mix up exercise and don't think that dieting alone or exercise alone will be a good way to succeed. The best way is a combination of both!

Good luck!

Crankarm

Guru
These threads always make me LMAO as we always get the folk who say the only eat salads and NEVER eat pies, crisps, fried food, pour 8 pints of ale down their necks 3 times a week who cannot understand why they still weight 27 stones. It's pretty basic. You have to cycle harder and for longer, maybe do some running as well. Eat like a King for breakfast, like a Prince for lunch and like a Pauper for tea/dinner. Monitor your portion sizes. Give up beer and the fags as well.

Crankarm

Guru
A doctor cyclist friend of mine told me that the average person burns around 300 calories for every 10 kms cycled (normal cycling - ie not mountains, or against wind, or carrying heavy loads.
I've just found this amusing little calculator. Don't know if it's very accurate. But guess which activity is supposed to burn the most calories (and, no, it's not sex!)

By your calculator I am burning about 3000 calories a day cycling probably more as I am riding with a loaded bike and I ride hard.

Top Bottom