loss of muscle in my chest and arms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter_liver

I've been cycling hard for the last 4 months and have noticed a big muscle loss in my chest and arms...I'm starting weight training again in hope of muscle regain... Is it possible to keep upper body muscle or is the cardiovascular workout of cycling so intense that you just can't retain/regain it.by the way I'm 50 years old ;( .

MikeW-71

Veteran
Cycling (particularly road cycling) does not work out the upper body much at all, and the body will only develop what it needs to use. Your CV fitness is way up, but your arms and chest have shrunk as the body isn't needing to use them.

If you want to keep the upper body, you'll need to lift some weights. :smile:

OP
OP
peter_liver

peter_liver

Cycling (particularly road cycling) does not work out the upper body much at all, and the body will only develop what it needs to use. Your CV fitness is way up, but your arms and chest have shrunk as the body isn't needing to use them.

If you want to keep the upper body, you'll need to lift some weights. :smile:

It's as if my body has eaten all the muscle I don't us to help me get fit to ride...I'm just hopping I can regain it fast than my body's eating it... Nutrition & training I hope brings it back :hungry: :training: .

OP
OP
peter_liver

peter_liver

So you were previously doing upper body weights - you then stopped - and now you are wondering why you are losing upper body condition?

I know it sounded obvious but the loss has shocked not only me but friends & family... Just wasn't sure if I could get it back, that lack of ability to retain upper body muscle was just a side affect of cycling I would have to endure.

screenman

Legendary Member
I find swimming 8k a week helps keep the upper half in shape, cycling about 80 miles a week is for the bottom half. The workout and stretches I am just about to do as I do every evening is for my core.

One thing is for sure: You’ll lose your muscles in a shorter amount of time than it took to build them.

By the way I am 59 years 168 days, but who is counting, age is just a number.

sight-pin

Veteran
I have the same problem, thought it was through the statins and beta blockers i'm on............glad to know why now, suppose i'll have fork out for some weights now lol

sight-pin

Veteran
I'm 65, It's my daughter and wife telling me i'm too skinny, even the doctor said i'm very lean. 9 stone now at 5' 6" in height, i was almost 11 stone before i started cycling.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

sight-pin

Veteran
Seems even doctors have lost sight of what shape we should all be. What is your fat content?

No idea with me. I only see my doctor for lung disease and high blood pressure. Most of my weight before cycling was the stomach area, but like the OP is saying i've lost weight in my arms mainly. also face area as well.

Top Bottom