Lost my mojo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Breeze network of 'champions' here have been introducing lots of women to track work with training sessions, as well as running women-friendly 'come and try it' rides for a local BC club, which has boosted the female membership of that club no end. More people on bikes, all good.
Good if they are actually more people on bikes and mainstreamed quickly, bad if it's using grant funding to cannibalise other groups. Also, I remain sceptical that boosting the female membership of a BC club is enough if nothing is done to change the men-race-and-women-serve-the-teas ethos that some still have... but I've learned both BC clubs and Breeze vary widely, so it is possible that some groups may have done good despite others being flawed.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
bad if it's using grant funding to cannibalise other groups.
Well, the Breeze people came to Glasgow, offered the Belles on Bikes and the CTC training to lead Breeze rides.
Some of us did the training, it was a bit regimental for our liking, at a further meeting we asked them what they had to offer different that the Belles on Bikes already had.
The answer was "we have a million pounds!"
Uhmm, all right then ... Needless to say, the Glasgow Belles by large told them to take a hike. The other groups present, I remember clearly the Edinburgh CTC, were much more in favor, probably they now lead Breeze groups in their area.
Eventually a Glasgow Breeze developed too, when I see them out they are a shining example of hi-viz and helmets on the segregated paths, but the famous red Breeze Champion jersey I still have to see.
Btw, Breeze Champions (ride leader) don't get paid, while Sky ride leaders do get paid. They got the million but don't want to spend it :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well, the Breeze people came to Glasgow, offered the Belles on Bikes and the CTC training to lead Breeze rides.
Some of us did the training, it was a bit regimental for our liking, at a further meeting we asked them what they had to offer different that the Belles on Bikes already had.
Uhmm, all right then ... Needless to say, the Glasgow Belles by large told them to take a hike. The other groups present, I remember clearly the Edinburgh CTC, were much more in favor, probably they now lead Breeze groups in their area.
Eventually a Glasgow Breeze developed too, when I see them out they are a shining example of hi-viz and helmets on the segregated paths, but the famous red Breeze Champion jersey I still have to see.
Btw, Breeze Champions (ride leader) don't get paid, while Sky ride leaders do get paid. They got the million but don't want to spend it :whistle:

I was impressed with the organisation of the Sky Ride I did a few years ago, but 'regimental' is a good description, so I think you've weighed it up well.

I'm not keen on cycling hierarchy - it's only riding a bike after all - but I suppose the Sky/Breeze rides suit the less experienced.

mjr

I'm not keen on cycling hierarchy - it's only riding a bike after all - but I suppose the Sky/Breeze rides suit the less experienced.
Do they, though? They still need to get home from the end and the Sky ride will have done little to allow them to practise by copying more experienced riders in the safety of numbers. (I don't think Breeze rides can be generalised as much, as there's a wide variety.)

mjr

at a further meeting we asked them what they had to offer different that the Belles on Bikes already had.
Uhmm, all right then ... Needless to say, the Glasgow Belles by large told them to take a hike.
Yeah, the things existing fairer clubs could have done with a million pounds! :angry:

I wonder what will happen when the grant runs out, I wonder if minorities have to wait until BC gets a grant in their name before anything is done to address how BC hinders them and I wonder how long they can get away with it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Hi, I've been cycling, running and circuit training for a good few months now and suddenly I've lost all interest in it. I enjoy the exercise once I'm doing it but the thought of having to get ready and go out does not thrill me anymore, any suggestions on how I can pick myself up and start again. I'm doing it all for fitness, weight loss and getting out and about, weight loss has been slow, so not sure if I'm fed up with it all because the 9lbs I want to lose won't shift or whether I'm just having a mojo crisis. Thanks. Happy cycling :rolleyes:

Try to set yourself a little challenge some weeks or months in the future. Maybe a 25 mile event to stretch yourself a little? Something for charity even. I'm finding that because I currently have an event to concentrate on, my training actually gets done, and given the choice between staying in and watching telly / drinking beer, and riding, I'll go with riding far more than I would have if I didn't have a set goal. The event puts a little bit of pressure on you to deliver as you don't want to let down ride partners or your charity by failing to complete. I've found that very welcome.

Top Bottom