Lots of angry motorists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Spectating at a sportive today I noticed lots of motorists angry at the road closures.

It was the Pennines Etape which runs through rural County Durham.

Closing the course to vehicle traffic can only be achieved by turning all the adjacent minor roads into dead ends for a few hours.

There was a wide spread in the attitude of drivers, but a significant number were angry, leading to lots of swearing and general abuse of the marshals.

A mate of mine was policing the event and he confirmed marshals from around the course had the same experience as the marshal where I was watching.

I'm not a regular spectator at sportives so don't know if this happens a lot.

Nor do I have any bright ideas for a solution.

I don't think there was any real damage done today, but motorists charging around in a temper are a hazard to themselves and other road users.

http://www.etapepennines.co.uk/index.html

Hip Priest

Veteran
Closed road sportives are very rare in the UK, so most people won't have a lot of experience of them, but I bet any event (cycling or otherwise) that involves road closures will experience similar problems with irate motorists.

Svendo

Guru
Presumably there was signage at the last turning of the 'temporary dead end' indicating the road closure and these drivers have driven past it? If not then perhaps there should be 'road closed ahead' signs.

Kies

In a way its understandable. As a motorist you have paid your "road tax" to drive on the roads, then they get closed so some cyclists can have them. And the worse of it is, them cyclist don't not pay none of that road tax!

Stop fanning the flames :smile:

Hip Priest

Veteran
A guy I know rode the event and said there were a few nasty accidents today. Not involving cars, just cyclists over-cooking it on the many steep descents.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Motorists whinged when the roads were closed for the olympic road race too. Car drivers seem to do an awful lot of whinging.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Presumably there was signage at the last turning of the 'temporary dead end' indicating the road closure and these drivers have driven past it? If not then perhaps there should be 'road closed ahead' signs.

Even when there is full signage it gets torn down.

Even when we had our road closed for resurfacing motorists drove down it at speed. They nearly barged into the lorries parked down the bottom and we saw several slam-on just in time. A couple of times motorists stopped to rant in front of us, too, as we witnessed this obtuse behaviour and when they ranted "WHERE ARE THE F***ING SIGNS!!?" we simply pointed back up the road at the three they passed including a big, bright yellow diversion sign.

I think the problem is how people travel on autopilot, they wont plan ahead, they plan no contingency, they leave themselves no time. People need to be more disciplined.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Motorists whinged when the roads were closed for the olympic road race too. Car drivers seem to do an awful lot of whinging.
It's because they're all stuck inside a machine moving far slower than it's really capable of. Just feel sorry for them ^_^.

Speaking of "inconvenient" sportives, later this month is Melbourne's annual Around The Bay In A Day ride (this year's is the 21st), in which the longest ride options (210km or 250km) travel around Port Philip Bay (which is the large bay just south of Melbourne). This day sees approximately 17,000 cyclists doing the ride, and there are no road closures. Can't you just imagine impatient motorists seething at the fact that the left lane of various beach-side roads are completely blocked by throngs of cyclists (of all cycling abilities, from novices to amateur racers)? :laugh: It's quite a sight to behold.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
They had this issue with the Olympics with the road cycling and TT. A motorcyclists caught an event and it was not the cycling. Saying No to a Motorists is the devils work.

RedMG

Regular
I rode the Etape Pennines today. Didn't witness any irate motorists but I suspect they are in the minority, as most of the folks I saw at the junctions were doing a great job of cheering us all on. I guess there's always a few but I was overall really pleased to see so many enthusiastic spectators who had cones blocking their driveways etc. which is an inconvenience to them.

The signage and advanced warnings were superb as I drove through a few of the roads yesterday, so there was no excuse for not being aware. Overall I thought the whole region and public were really welcoming so its sad to hear about the experience of some of the marshalls who also did a great job.

I also witnessed a crash on a descent, but you go as fast and you're happy with really. In fact I just posted on another thread that I hit 60mph on one, and I was happy with that!

Top Bottom