Lottery Prize Money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Dont do the lottery myself.But tonight before the footie.Tonights numbers three winners one million four hundred thousand each.Iam sure prizes were much higher in its early days.What has happened?.Are people fed up of the Gov raiding it?.

col

Legendary Member
Im sure it was nearer £20 million when it first started.We did 3 lines on wed and 3 on sat,now we do one on each day,maybe that sort of thing could account for the drop?

Keith Oates

Janner
Although it would be nice to win the 'big one' I think most people realise that the chances are very small and so don't bother to enter so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got-to-get-fit

when the lotto started i did a couple of lines every week but then lost interest and now i dont do it at all, in fact i havenet for about 4 yr. i think like a lot of people probably that the chances are so slim they cant be arsed with the commitment of buying one every week.

Then there are the superball, euro millions, thunderball, etc etc etc ....half the time you dont know what you are playing or what to ask for in the shop its all just to confussing.

And i have another personal gripe - 4 week ago my mums sister won 46 thousand ....so now i think the chances of 2 people from the same family winning are even slimmer than before.

Melvil

Someone once came up with the depressing statistic that you are approximately 172 times more likely to be murdered than win the lottery!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
49 choose 6 comes out at 13,983,816 if anyone is interested as to why and where it comes from. Or 6/49*5/48*4/47*3/46*2/45*1/44 and invert.

CycleWidow

I did birthdays (like many) when the lottery started, and stupidly still do the same numbers every Saturday! If I forget and cannot get mother dearest to put them on for us I am sick to my stomach in case they actually come up! Stupid really but its that addictive. I refuse to play the daily ones or the Wednesday one.

My father played the football pools religiously and when off work for a fractured arm forgot to place his ticket and ..... yep the numbers came up. To say he was pissed was a mild understatement. He always said he would take us to Disneyland with the winnings....now age 35 and still have not been!;)

Pete

got-to-get-fit said:
And i have another personal gripe - 4 week ago my mums sister won 46 thousand ....so now i think the chances of 2 people from the same family winning are even slimmer than before.
Well-known misconception, this. The fact that someone in your family has had a win does not in the least affect the odds against your scoring a win in any future draw.

If you have tossed a coin (fairly) five times and it came up heads each time, then, immediately before the sixth throw, the chances that it will come up heads are still exactly 50%.

As for the lottery itself, well, I still see the lively queues of people at the checkout, all clutching their tickets, at W H Smiths and similar places. So someone must still be buying up the tickets... I don't gamble, myself, on principle, so I've never been involved.

stevenb

I do 3 lines weds and sat. Same numbers each time. Never won more than £10 on the Lotto...although on the Euro millions I won £26 something....

My Dad has won a Hot Pick 3 twice....£450 each time.
My Aunt has won with 4 numbers a few times.
My aunt and uncle have won with 5 numbers twice.
I knew a couple of people I used to work with who won with 5 and the bonus.

My Nan used to win on the scratch cards often.

I think people aren't playing as much because they realise how much money they spend on the Lotto and the odds are against them. So as already mentioned....people tend to spend less than they may have previously spent.

col

Legendary Member
We won a tenner a couple of time s over the years,but have won more on a local lottery,where we have a number for the bonus ball,49 of us are in it,and between us have won £49 four or five times,better odds i know,but still,you never know eh?how sick would you be if you stopped the lottery after years,and your numbers came up sometime.

stevenb

That's why I stick with doing my numbers. I forgot to do the lines sometime back but luckily my numbers didn't come up. Some people do silly things as a result of not doing the Lotto and then their numbers come up....sure I'd be totally gutted...but not suicidal....

Pete

The thing that sickens me - but admittedly I'm speaking for myself - is to hear of how people get hooked on this wretched thing - about how people actually believe they have a realistic chance of winning...

Let me illustrate with a little anecdote. Years ago - this must have been about the time when the lottery first fired up, and all the public and the media were wildly excited about it - a colleague who was in a chronic financial mess - into debt 'management' and 'readjustment' schemes, at the mercy of sharks, up to his eyeballs, you all know that sort of thing ... well an overheard remark of his, at a moment of crisis, stuck in my mind ever since. It was "I've just got to go down and get that lottery ticket - it's my only hope". I could think of nothing to say to the guy, nor could anyone else. Of course his numbers never came up and he remained in debt...

Perhaps this partly explains my stance. Not everyone will agree.

Top Bottom