Lovely bit of writing from a beginner trying out a velodrome.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A nicely-written article: it picks up the terror, confusing physics and fun of track riding.

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't tried it to have a go. Outdoor track season's finished, but indoor's just starting.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I enjoyed the article. The journalist used to do an often very funny column where he would try out various oddball kitchen gadgets.
I noticed that several of the comments were taking him to task over the use of “ I hate cyclists “ ( said tongue in cheek) in the opening lines of the article.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I enjoyed the article. The journalist used to do an often very funny column where he would try out various oddball kitchen gadgets.
I noticed that several of the comments were taking him to task over the use of “ I hate cyclists “ ( said tongue in cheek) in the opening lines of the article.

This is hardly the place to admit it, but I hate cyclists. I never know if they are going to stop at traffic lights or plough through; they’re often very shouty due to always being in danger; and the worst thing is, they’re right.

I've not delved into the comments, but I guess this is what they're worked up about.

I thought, light-hearted as it is, it is quite exquisitely written:

- many people do indeed have an irrational hatred of cyclists
- many cyclists (in London at least) do behave unpredictably
- cyclists behave as they do in large part because of the danger they're in, caused by motorists
- motorists' hatred is driven by their knowing they're fundamentally in the wrong

Except his prose is infinitely better than mine.

Top Bottom