1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lovely Commute Home

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by yorkshiregoth, 28 Oct 2007.

1. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

Just got back from a 18 mile commute home from work after a 12 hour shift and it was great. Fairly annoying headwind, rain chucking it down and my cheapo overshoes from Aldi and my rainlegs did an outstanding job of keeping me dryish. If I didn't have to go back to work in 11 hours I would have carried on riding. xx( :tongue:

2. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Nice to get home with a smile on your face isn't it? 18 miles after a 12 hour shift sounds a bit harsh though xx(

3. Old Walrus

Old Walrus Über Member

Best therapy after a shift especially the grotty variety! Did the same yesterday after a head v brick wall day, sorted things out as did the red wine purchased en route.

4. Maz

Maz Guru

I had a good ride back on Friday...I thought I'd picked up a puncture, so I pulled up and checked the tyre. Just then, a cyclist approached me, slowed down and asked if I was OK. As it turned out, there was no puncture, but I thanked her for asking. Made my day.

5. ChrisW

ChrisW Senior Member

Glad you guys had it good. After months of hassle free riding i managed to get a p*ncture on the way home Friday night.

Then on the Club run on Sun a guy got two p*nctures (o.k,one, but we ballsed uo replacing the tube) and of course Sunday was wet and windy.

Then this morning going through the Wandsworth one-way system, my chain broke...bugger, bugger, bugger.

6. Maz

Maz Guru

Don't tell me you carry a spare chain!...hope you didn't have too far to go.

7. johnr

johnr Über Member

It was drizzling this morning - stopped before I needed to leave - but it made me think of that great urban myth about only getting rained on 12 times a year. I can't remember the last time I donned rainlegs and overshoes in anger. Certainly the last couple of months it's been nippy occasionally, but I'm not out of my gilet yet. Long may it continue.

8. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Well..... it's going to be dark setting off tonight....can't wait....get to use my lights properly now.....

I used to hate the next couple of weeks when I commuted in the car because of all the accidents on the motorway on way home - would take upto 2 hours to get 25 miles

9. ChrisW

ChrisW Senior Member

My technical ability is so laughable that it wouldn't be worth me bothering...

Phoned Mrs ChrisW to come and collect me in the car (she was happy:wacko:) and took another bike in. See we ALL need more than one bike (not that Thread again!).

LBS is going to sort it out later this week.

10. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Yeah, but did you get her number?

11. Maz

Maz Guru

If only I were single...

12. ChrisW

ChrisW Senior Member

Bizarrely enough, i was following a vision (female!) in lycra when my chain went, made it all the more galling...