Loving my new Croix, just not sure about the tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
I replaced them with Gator Hardshell 28s and I am very happy with the choice. Not the lightest tyre if you like to read specs but much more grip and confidence on the road and a good level of puncture protection for commuting and every day use.

I am trying these but find that skidding is common. I am running at 8 bar which two bike shops but not the manufacturer, say is too high a pressure. I will try 7 bar on the next ride. Any views from the forum?

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I am trying these but find that skidding is common. I am running at 8 bar which every two bike shops but not the manufacturer, say is too high a pressure. I will try 7 bar on the next ride. Any views from the forum?

Unless you're very heavy, 6 bar should be ample on nominal 700c/28.

Last edited:

gbs

Guru
Well, I am 80k and on a lightweight (Ti frame) so I will try 6.5 bar in the first instance

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Well I ended up sticking with the tyres I knew and liked – Marathon Supremes – but went for 28C thinking it was the right thing to do and all I've done is killed the Croix's comfy ride. First ride yesterday morning felt pretty harsh (and slower) so I dropped the pressures to ~80psi rear/70psi front for the return commute which was better. Whilst I'm not feeling quite so rattled this morning I'd like the easy-rolling 'magic carpet' ride back but with some puncture protection and I'm really not sure what to try now... just go for the Supremes in a 35? I was wary of the significant drop in tyre volume but I guess the other contributing factor as mentioned above is that tyres with puncture protection are going to have less supple and forgiving sidewalls. Hmm. Ideas?

PS if anyone's interested in a pair of virtually unused (!) 700x28C Marathon Supremes do drop me a message...

Can you fit 35s and guards on the cdf?

Voyayer Hypers at PX are well recommended and cheap.

Given that I use M+ I have never experienced this magic carpet ride, except on a set of tubs nearly 25 years ago. It was a racing bike and just floated over the tarmac (and getting old that maybe all rose tinted now!)

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Can you fit 35s and guards on the cdf?
Easily – room to spare with the OEM Conti Cyclocross Speed and SKS P45's that the LBS fitted... frankly the 28C Supremes look a bit silly under the 'guards.

Voyager Hypers at PX are well recommended and cheap.
Interesting. I've never tried Vittoria but I have to say they might just be worth a shout... cheers :okay:

Top Bottom