Low bar Mountain Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hudson1984

Über Member
Hi all, been asking a few questions in a few sections, was initially looking at a 20" wheel ebike but perhaps a mountain bike is more suitable...

I have dodgy hips which i'm on the waiting list for replacement. Once they're done, it's advised that the action to get your leg over the crossbar isn't one they recommend.

Now I could get a step through - but I don't like them
I could get a 20" wheel or folding or something along those lines - not against that.
Or I get a mountain bike with saddle dropper post. But I'd need the saddle to go pretty ruddy low, and I don't want to pay £2,000 for a bike that's essentially going to take me to the gym and the pub.

Eventually I'll add an ebike kit to it, like a swytch or something similar, just to keep things easy on the hip. But first, i'd like to get the bike and go from there.

Budget circa £500 but lower the better really for the above reasons - I've no aspirations of bouncing off anything any time soon, just a comfy ride, any suggestions? I did see a voodoo Bizingo on fleabay for £200. But I really know zero about mountain bikes. I'd like a reliable groupset that will last.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Hudson and :welcome: to CC

A lot of requirements there. A mountain bike even with a dropper seat means will still have a high cross bar to get your leg over, unless you get a ladies drop bar model. I would think a 20” wheel folder might be the best bet, easy enough to step through. Plenty to choose from used from Tern or Dahon or new if you wanted. You could even add a Swytch e-bike conversion to it later.
Or you could pick up something like a Raleigh Pioneer with a drop bar frame, cheap as chips on Gumtree or EBay.

1631893710619.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
See whilst I’m no trend setter - I’m keen to not have what looks like a woman’s bike really so probably right, 20” wheel would be best

OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
See I could do that. I mean I might be totally fine and have nothing to worry about, hard to know until it’s done I guess. Just hate to throw my leg over not thinking and POP!! (Which is a risk apparently)

at least with the ahem…. Kids bike ;) there’s no risk

jessand

Veteran
Do you have particular problems rather than the usual worn out hip? I've never heard of that advice being given, I had a hip replacement in January and my surgeon was keen to get me back on my bike. I know 5 or 6 cyclists whove had THR who cycle quite normally on their road bikes - just need to lean them over a bit to mount and dismount. I was doing it after 8 weeks - of course you can't attempt it for at least 6 weeks after the op, along with many other things which may cause dislocation. You may of course have different issues but the advice you were given is not normal for the usual old age, worn hip, run of the mill hip replacement.

Top Bottom