low blood sugar - very scary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After I got in from work tonight, I went straight to the gym for two hours, as I usually do on a Thursday, having had a mere packet of maltesers to sustain me since lunch. I did my usual intervals, weights etc, and was starving by the time I finished. I stopped off at the chippy cos I realised I didn't have anything in, and proceeded to drive home.

I live in a rural area, and my drive home is through twisty dark country lanes. About a mile down the road I realised that I couldn't see properly. In the middle of my field of vision was this spiky edged object, all flashing rainbow colours, refracting and distorting what I was supposed to be looking at. I could just make the road out. I was scared stiff! Eventually I got home and scrompfed down my dinner double quick. I had the TV on, but I couldn't focus on the words on the sky menu. They just kept melting away into mush. I was about to phone NHS direct but my dinner was more important! About 10 minutes after I'd finished eating, my vision came back. It's now normal.

How bonkers is that? I can only imagine its because I'd not eaten enough, worked a long day and then done a load of exercise. Anyone else had anything similar?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
That's quite scary!!! Is everything better now? I've not heard of low blood sugar affecting eyes. You should keep an eye (ha) on that!!

Noodley

I sometimes get something similar after an audax. Very blurred vision for a few hours, even when I have eaten. One of the side effects of audax I suppose - to add to the list of other audax-induced effects. Who needs drugs? :biggrin:

yenrod

Kirtie; just rpior to my Dad leaving work, retiring, he drove for a living and when looking at bright light (sun) he would occasionally get a light similiar to what you've described cept obviously he hadnt hhad the day youd had...though the blood sugar level is interesting and I may ask him in time about what he'd ate...that day.

Diabetes can affect the eyes so maybe a check could work out well.

One thing I always used to do more so than now as I don't ride as OFTEN as I do but do mostly do 3 or 4 rides in the wk. which may goto 5 (if I ride work too) IS have a bottle (volvic or such like) ALL the time - and people used to know me as that bloke who drinks loadsa water - even got called as a nickname 'water is...(essential)' as I was pointing out the importance of it in a college lesson once..but i digress.

Try the water !

It keeps the sugars balanced. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirstie said:
How bonkers is that? I can only imagine its because I'd not eaten enough, worked a long day and then done a load of exercise. Anyone else had anything similar?

Two hours in the gym on a packet of maltesers. Ye Gods, Kirstie, they'd have carried me out after the effort of signing in.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to do upper body stuff in a gym and I used to float out of the door in a kind of trance. Gawd knows how I didn't crash the car going home, I used to feel completely disconnected, my vision would be poor and even my hearing would go dull. A good gym workout takes so much out of you in such a short time that you need to be topping up with carbs and sugars.

Yes I had an absolute stack of water - something like 2.5l , so no worries there. I just don't think I'd eaten enough. After my dinner I started on the jelly babies to stop the shakes...! I think I'll be more careful in future...

strofiwimple

Veteran
I did a similarly stupid thing many years ago Kirstie.
During the school hols a group of us used to play football every day for as long as it was light only stopping when our mums used to call us in for meals.
One day i decided to skip tea and about 7pm i can remember i started to see a black round shaped object pulsing on the edge of my vision and i just had to lie down.
I was totally aware of people talking around me but i couldnt see or move- very scary. A couple od days in hospital on a drip and i was right as rain but the telling off i got from the doctor is still ringing in my ears to this day!
A lesson never to be forgotten- i was only eleven though Kirstie- whats your excuse ;-)

bonj2

forgive me for suggesting what may seem like the obvious, but why didn't you just start eating the chips in the car? nice bit of tomato ketchup aswell for sugar content.

PrettyboyTim

It sounds a lot like a migraine, they often cause weird visual disturbances. My Mum gets them quite a lot, and what you've described sounds pretty similar. I've only had one once - I was at work at the time, and I had to go home because I could no longer read what was on the computer screen.

bonj said:
forgive me for suggesting what may seem like the obvious, but why didn't you just start eating the chips in the car? nice bit of tomato ketchup aswell for sugar content.

1. It's dangerous to eat and drive.
2. It stinks the car out.
3. They get cold quickly.
4. It's pretty manky behaviour and not the sort of thing that a lady like Kirstie would do.

Top Bottom