Low Calorie Booze

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by earth, 18 May 2010.

1. MartinC

MartinC Über Member

In Ireland an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than their doctor.

2. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

In Germany there are alcohol free beers (Erdinger & Clausthaler) which is sold as an isotonic sports drinks...

3. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

4. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

You may find this useful, although there's no perry in it. Would be good to see it in a table to directly compare though, and for some reason Magners is measured in half pints, so keep an eye on that.

5. georgiebuzz

georgiebuzz Active Member

Cheers benb, now I know I can have Guinness instead of lager as long as I remember to spit the last mouthful out. How many years have I avoided Guinness thinking it was just short of drinking lard by the pint.

6. Garz

Garz Squat Member

I drink rarely nowadays but definitely don't feel guilty when I do as the cycling trims it off nicely!

7. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

In any alcoholic drink, the ingredient with the most calories per gram is alcohol. The second is the residual sugar. So if your target is to get plastered for the least calories, go for the driest-tasting version of the strongest drink e.g. vodka. The calculation is made slightly more complicated by the fact that some drinks have higher osmotic pressure than others and with very weak drinks the volume will make the alcohol slow to absorb; and most people find that fizzy drinks get them drunk quicker. You should also note that the stomach has a valve which closes as soon as food enters, which again keeps alcohol out of the gut where it is absorbed much more quickly than in the stomach.

So your drink of choice should be a bottle of 13% champagne or 2 litres of high-strength dry cider, necked as soon as you get both feet out of the pedals. White Lightning was produced just below the excise band at 7.5% and generally reckoned to be the best 'bang per buck' for student parties and the back streets of industrial Britain. Heineken withdrew it last year because of its park bench image, but there are replacements, as you have already discovered.

Or - as Globalti has suggested - you could just grow up. :rolleyes:

8. OP
    OP
    earth

earth Well-Known Member

White Lightening or it's more upmarket cousin - Frosty Jacks is certainly great value but being a 'source of phenylalanine', fails the artificial sweetener test. I suspect it also fails the Cider test and is in fact wood alcohol mixed with carbonated water with some artificial apple flavorings along with the aforementioned sweetener.

9. smeg

smeg New Member

Cheap lager? Although not too cheap unless you want to give up drinking then try Sainsbury's basics lager, it's so horrible you wont want to drink much of it :laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice