Low Carb High Fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
For my dinner tonight I did chicken thighs in the oven with a whole lemon juiced and poured over the chicken along with oregano and plenty of butter, served with roasted veg, followed by raspberries and organic double cream...........

Lunch was a tuna salad from Eat and breakfast was bacon, eggs and clonakilty black pudding.

All keto and quite low carb.

HeroesFitness

Milk maybe cheap but it is not meant for human consumption, it is done a s a cheap way to feed the masses, also the dairy farms are manipulated by the big supermarkets, it is disgusting how the farmers are treated, the government should step in.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
For a typical day, breakfast is a cooked breakfast of some variety, lunch - salad with cheese/meat and mayo or coleslaw, perhaps an avocado. For tonight's evening meal I made a cottage pie with sweet potato on top instead of normal potato. If I hadn't run out of cream, I would have had some strawberries & cream afterwards, but made do with some nuts.

Provided I keep to roughly less than 100g of carbs per day then it's ok. The key thing is to avoid stuff made from grains and things with lots of added sugar. It's only when you actually look at labels, that you realise just how much sugar they add to so many foodstuffs.

@Flying Dodo and @The Jogger

Is there a book that you can recommend for the details of this type of diet please? I have been talking at length today to someone who has been very successful on the "Keto" diet as he calls it. He has lost two stone in eleven weeks.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Book Cereal Killers and a film of the same name but not related. You can download the film from their site CK or Amazon very interesting and useful info. Also YouTube Gary Taubes he has some highly recommended books as well as Tim Noakes.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
@Flying Dodo - Does that book include "Food Plans"?

I like the sound of the examples of the food you usually eat.

For instance, I did not realise that sweet potato would be a better option than normal potato. Nor did I realise that strawberries and cream would be a healthy option.

The person I was talking to today said that he can have steak and salad, but not the chips. That is a sacrifice I could easily make. Then there is your lunch of meat, salad and coleslaw.

I usually have organic porridge oats (with skimmed milk) for breakfast, so I would like to find out if that needs to be changed. One of the excerpts on Amazon suggested almonds/almond milk. I do not eat eggs, as in scrambled or boiled.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
One of the important things we discussed this morning is sugar levels and glycaemic indexes.

He said that if he ate breakfast, he felt hungry throughout the day, and ate more than if he "missed" breakfast. His GP thought he might be very close to developing diabetes. He was also taking medication for high blood pressure. Shortly after starting the Keto diet, a few weeks perhaps, his blood pressure reduced and so did his blood sugar levels.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I would avoid anything low fat as in skimmed milk. Fried eggs are very good especially if they are fried in coconut oil even better than olive oil for frying. Low fat foods usually are carb loaded as in sugar etc. Eat plenty of avocados and another thing that is satisfying, bulletproof coffee.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

Fried eggs are very good especially if they are fried in coconut oil
Even better in macadamia nut oil, if you can find it. In fact, everything is better, cooked in macadamia nut oil. :tongue:

Disclaimer: LCHF/keto Sept 1999 - June 2000 then Nov 2012 - present.
I was borderline diabetic with lifelong chronic lowgrade inflammation + arthritis, IBS and migraines. I have determined I am 100% carbohydrate-intolerant: carbs make me ill. ALL carbs, even vegetables. LCHF has transformed my health and quality of life.

Last edited:
@Flying Dodo - Does that book include "Food Plans"?

I like the sound of the examples of the food you usually eat.

For instance, I did not realise that sweet potato would be a better option than normal potato. Nor did I realise that strawberries and cream would be a healthy option.

The person I was talking to today said that he can have steak and salad, but not the chips. That is a sacrifice I could easily make. Then there is your lunch of meat, salad and coleslaw.

I usually have organic porridge oats (with skimmed milk) for breakfast, so I would like to find out if that needs to be changed. One of the excerpts on Amazon suggested almonds/almond milk. I do not eat eggs, as in scrambled or boiled.

Volek & Phinney don't give you "food plans" but they do educate you in ways that ensure you will never look at food in the same way again!
Successful long term / lifelong changes in diet depend on changing the way you think. Being told What To Eat and What Not To Eat may result in short term weight loss but that will not help you when you're out on your own in the real world.

Organic porridge oats, eh?
Time for 20 questions: Is it an animal? Or is it a plant? One grows fat, the other uses sunlight to manufacture sugar.
Hope that helps! ;)
(There are exceptions but... get the basics right. Look at your food and see it for it is.)

ETA: Strawberries. @Flying_Dodo eats at the upper end of a LCHF diet as he is maintaining his weight, not losing. He is not and never has (apparently) been insulin resistant or had a metabolism or carbohydrate tolerance problem. He can therefore get away with luxuries that would likely derail weight loss attempts. Strawberries -- while not as 'bad' as many other fruits and of course packed with loads of nutrients -- are nonetheless fructose, which equals sugar.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Volek & Phinney don't give you "food plans" but they do educate you in ways that ensure you will never look at food in the same way again!
Successful long term / lifelong changes in diet depend on changing the way you think. Being told What To Eat and What Not To Eat may result in short term weight loss but that will not help you when you're out on your own in the real world.

Organic porridge oats, eh?
Time for 20 questions: Is it an animal? Or is it a plant? One grows fat, the other uses sunlight to manufacture sugar.
Hope that helps! ;)
(There are exceptions but... get the basics right. Look at your food and see it for it is.)

The oats are Flahavan's and described as "organic". I take that to mean using as few chemicals etc as possible. Besides that, they taste lovely, and are chunky flakes as opposed to some "dusty" ones that are available.

I agree that I do not want to be told what to eat. I would like the details of how to eat healthily, for example that steak and salad is a healthy choice. I also like peanuts and brazil nuts.

If i have porridge for breakfast (40g) can that be part of or all of my carbs for the day? I do not eat a lot of bread, but I do like wholegrain noodles, brown and wild rice and wholegrain pasta. I want to avoid becoming "insulin resistant". Also yesterday, my friend explained how much more alert he is feeling, and that he is sleeping better.

Last edited:
Purity and additives are important, but oats are oats are oats... they're a plant, grown in a field.... Completely carbohydrate, no matter how organic or ethically grown. Sorry.

Porridge at 40g will almost certainly prevent you from losing weight, even if it's the ONLY carbs you eat all day. They are completely inconsistent with the science of LCHF/keto.

Again - rice! Plant or animal?

Noodles, pasta - again... oops sorry, completely man made, not even a natural product.

And... god, I really hate to be bursting bubbles here, but... peanuts are not a nut. Which means you have to look at them in a totally different light from true nuts. The question will be, can peanuts fit into your overall plan, in certain quantities? Depends on the plan.

I am a little concerned that basically you are saying "this is what I like to eat now give me a diet that says those are all healthy"...? Steak is low carb. Salad is not. A combination of those two foods in one meal could fit into a LCHF eating plan.... or a High Carb Low Fat one!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom