Low foreheads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just felt compelled to leave a Facebook group, I won't name it in case I fall foul of site rules (unless admins tell me it's OK to?), but one of their number started a thread advocating the 'fun' of deliberately re-angling the nearside washer jet of their car/van so that they could squirt cyclists. There were immediate replies agreeing with this and discussing the finer points of alternative liquids to washer fluid...........I did post a reply which generated more replies to which I responded, keeping said responses light and funny, bu then more responses came on which, frankly, disturbed me. I always ride under the jokey assumption that the average motorist is a homicidal maniac out to kill me, but to have such stark proof thrust in front of one is perturbing to say the least.

Drago

Legendary Member
So he's advocating assaulting people? You were quite right to leave. That's why I don't to FB.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll tell you a funny story. I'd gone on holiday with a mates family and their relatives. The 'dad' had accidentally knocked his washer jet (old SD Rover) and it was squirting out the side. So, when we arrived at our destination, he pulled up next to the rest of the family. As they got out he squirted the lot !

But deliberately doing it is probably an offence - its a form of assault, so when the cyclist removes the wing mirror and wipers whilst he re-points the jet, all is well ?

I've just felt compelled to leave a Facebook group, I won't name it in case I fall foul of site rules (unless admins tell me it's OK to?), but one of their number started a thread advocating the 'fun' of deliberately re-angling the nearside washer jet of their car/van so that they could squirt cyclists. There were immediate replies agreeing with this and discussing the finer points of alternative liquids to washer fluid...........I did post a reply which generated more replies to which I responded, keeping said responses light and funny, bu then more responses came on which, frankly, disturbed me. I always ride under the jokey assumption that the average motorist is a homicidal maniac out to kill me, but to have such stark proof thrust in front of one is perturbing to say the least.

No need for such drama. The average motorist is neither murderous nor do they have your name on a silver bullet.

Do you really believe that all those people who are joking around on Facebook are really bothering to turn their nozzles and put funny stuff in their windscreen washer reservoirs? Really? I once prayed for a zap button on my phone so that I can press it and zap cold callers. Should they be worried?

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like he is a Billy Big B@llocks on the internet - wants to sound like the man in front of his mates.
Don't you mean Sally Small Penis?

Someone I work with was whining about how the Tour de Yorkshire was destroying business in Stocksbridge, making it difficult for people to go to work, moaning about the the cost of removal of lights and traffic islands, and how he was going to throw oil all over the road as the bikes passed. He called it a 'silly bike race'.
He's the one that overtook me in a 30mph limit just past a primary school going about 60mph, and drove one of our works vans down a motorway at 90mph swerving in and out of traffic, tailgating and undertaking. Other drivers were dialling the company 0800 number which is in foot high type across the back doors and complaining.

He's no longer allowed to drive works vehicles and I've unfriended him on facebook.
It also seems from the finish footage that all but 5 people in Stocksbridge disagreed with his sentiments.
Some people are just loud mouthed dickheads.

No need for such drama. The average motorist is neither murderous nor do they have your name on a silver bullet.

Do you really believe that all those people who are joking around on Facebook are really bothering to turn their nozzles and put funny stuff in their windscreen washer reservoirs? Really? I once prayed for a zap button on my phone so that I can press it and zap cold callers. Should they be worried?
Most of the nobbers wouldn't even know how to lift the bonnet let alone find the windscreen reservoir.

spen666

Legendary Member
I'd suggest reporting it to your local police... but you're in Lincolnshire, whose approach to cycling safety is still in the dark ages so I fear that combining that topic with the generally poor state of policing social networks won't result in a good outcome. If you try it, please let us know how it goes (or, more likely, doesn't).

Report what to the police?

Please Mr policeman, somebody said something on the internet I don't like?

Not sure any police force will take much action.

Stop being snowflakes

Tin Pot

Guru
Report what to the police?

Please Mr policeman, somebody said something on the internet I don't like?

Not sure any police force will take much action.

Stop being snowflakes

Posting on the internet is not casual conversation - it's publishing.

If these people are instigating hate crimes, or confessing to them, then yes - the police want to know about it. I spoke to the deputy head of ecrime last year on this matter.

Drago

Legendary Member
I spoke to the deputy head of ecrime last year on this matter.

Why, had he been at it? Hope you gave him a good telling off. ;)

Writing, sign, or visible representation...then racially aggravated...in a public place...those three elements are the gist of the of the most commonly used legislation for such matters. Its complex, but the way the case law has evolved around the meaning of public place also includes someone's private house where the source of the speech has originated elsewhere. The legislation applies to the street, the pub, and, as Jeff points out, the interweb.

Unfortunately, cyclists aren't a protected category in the pantheon of hate crime. However, there are plans afoot to include anyone targeted because of their appearance, mainly intended to stop gingerism and that sort of thing, but it probably won't be long before someone convinces a court that someone target because of wearing Lycra and cleats is included.

Last edited:

spen666

Legendary Member
Posting on the internet is not casual conversation - it's publishing.

If these people are instigating hate crimes, or confessing to them, then yes - the police want to know about it. I spoke to the deputy head of ecrime last year on this matter.

Go ahead then and see what action you get from the police apart from wasting their time.

There is no EVIDENCE of any crime.

There is no hate crime here.

Hate crime is not upsetting a cyclist by words.

Please tell us what offences (act and section) you are allergic occurred and what the evidence of that crime is

Alternatively stop being a snowflake

Oh and if you want to willy wave, I am a lawyer who had worked in the criminal arena for many decades and still do.

Top Bottom