Low friction cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Anyone had any experience of using either Nokon or Gore low friction brake + gear cabling systems? Thinkin bout maybe using these when I shortly update my STI levers. They are expensive and want to know will I notice the difference before making an outlay of £50 or so. We`re talking high end road bike.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Isn't the £50 just for the gear cabling?

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Speaking for the Gore stuff, their kit comes in a sealed ( for off road stuff ) and non-sealed version. The non-sealed is £27 ( Wiggle - not always the cheapest ) for gear set and the same again for brake set ie £54. I think the Nokon stuff is a lot more expensive. Anyway, anyone out there any experience of any of this kit ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't say, but the sealed stuff will last longer and be smoother for a longer period. Probably get that 'new cable' feel for a lot longer.

High spec bike, why not ?

jpembroke

I fitted some Gore sealed cables on someone's high end MTB. Personally, I can't tell the difference between his XTR/Gore setup and my Deore setup. I reckon if you spend that kind of cash you'll convince yourself it's made a difference but I don't think it does.

Jonathan M

Longevity & lack of maintenance is good. When I was at my "peak" of club MTB riding, every fortnight a long day ride, plus evening rides most nights I got 2 years use from gear cables before changing them: note, I usually changed them because I changed the bike or had to replace gear shifters due to damage etc. Great with cable disc brakes if fitted properly.

I've used Gore cables on my MTB pretty much since they came out.

Set up is a faff, you need to remove the cable coating where it goes under the clamp, and a tip I read about somewhere was to do this using a sharp blade and then seal it with a lighter flame or a match. If running V's then the plastic liner needs to run uninteruppted from lever to the end of the noodle.

IMHO the cables stay smoother for longer, with no stickiness, but I guess if you are a slave to bike maintenance or change cables regulary you probably won't notice much of a difference - new cable feel is new cable feel, just I think the Gores stay like that for longer.

Less sure about the need for them on a road bike though.

If you're having cable issues they can be a worthwhile investment.
I've used Nokons on my touring bikes for 9 years or more now - they allow tight routing which can be useful if you want to run a barbag with STI levers etc (I just got fed up retaping bars every time the outer split on my barend levers).

Also used Nokons for 5yrs or so on my mtb but they started creaking and then a couple of the beads collapsed so I drilled the cable stops and fitted full-length outers instead. Jobs a good'un - and I never do anything other than ignore them now!

(Tried Avid flakjackets too - they lasted a month before splitting.)

Jonathan M

StirlingCrispin said:
If you're having cable issues they can be a worthwhile investment.
I've used Nokons on my touring bikes for 9 years or more now - they allow tight routing which can be useful if you want to run a barbag with STI levers etc (I just got fed up retaping bars every time the outer split on my barend levers).

Also used Nokons for 5yrs or so on my mtb but they started creaking and then a couple of the beads collapsed so I drilled the cable stops and fitted full-length outers instead. Jobs a good'un - and I never do anything other than ignore them now!

(Tried Avid flakjackets too - they lasted a month before splitting.)

One of the pro-teams used Nokon like this a few years ago (might have been ONCE), they routed the STI gear cables under the bar tape for a cleaner look. Don't know if it was for aerodynamics, or just bike tart factor though.

Agree Avid Flak Jackets are not nice, the liner is just too britle. I fitted some to my brothers MTB, he rode them for a couple of weeks then splashed out on Gore.

Top Bottom