Lower Back/Hip Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
Hi

On a ride yesterday after raising my saddle a pain I sometimes get on the top of my right hip bone seemed worse.

The saddle was raised in a bike fit and he said the motion looked good. Now, reflex reaction is just move the saddle down, even if only incrementally. However, in the new position hills and even big efforts on the flat do seem much much easier.

I did notice that as I could put more power in, often I was in a higher gear than normal with a lower cadence. So I'm wondering if its worth persevering for at least 1-2 rides, making sure I'm getting the gearing/cadence right.

I will be chatting to the guy who did the fit as well as he said to get in touch with feedback but just thought I'd see what people on here thought as well.

Cheers :-)

Lee

screenman

Legendary Member
How much stretching do you do each day? Stick with it for 10 rides and stay away from the big gears for a while, would be my advice.

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Roughly none :-/ plan for today was a short warm up on the turbo followed by some stretching. Definitely my worst bad habits, no stretching or core work :-/

Did read somewhere its quite possibly an imbalance of strong legs pulling against weak obliques.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go see a physio :smile:. Get an exercise programme. Am suffering myself right now with hip and back, as well as knee and leg, physio is helping ( but my does some of it hurt)! I too had a bike fit, 6cm increase in saddle height, more comfortable, but lowered it a little as I simply couldn't stop safely in traffic and was getting cramp in my foot, trying to reach the ground!

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Yeah he put mine up about 3cm, just frustrating as my actual pedalling is miles better for it.

The plan was to see how this week goes then if still an issue see the Physio. C2C in three weeks :-/ if its not improving will just have to revert back for the event and play more after. If I can get it to work it will hopefully make the ride easier.

I think screenman's right about avoiding the bigger gears for a few rides to let the body adjust

vickster

Legendary Member
My fitter, said it would take at least 15 hours in the saddle to feel comfortable with the changes, so persevere

Do some stretching and also use heat afterwards

Top Bottom