Lower Leg Cramps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Afternoon all

In the past 2/3 weeks (Since my RTA) everything after cycling I am suffering with REALLY bad lower leg cramps, I have never had this before (apart from the first couple of weeks when I started cycling in 2008)

What could be the cause ?

stavros

Either lactic acid build-up or low sodium. Depends on how long a ride it was. At speed I used to get cramps but don't now as I have upped my sodium intake. Try that.

Fiona N

Veteran
Either lactic acid build-up or low sodium. Depends on how long a ride it was. At speed I used to get cramps but don't now as I have upped my sodium intake. Try that.

Sorry Stavros but I'd file that under 'rubbish' :thumbsup:

The OP said the problem was over the last two or three weeks so it's possible (probable) that the effort on the RTA was outside what was trained for and the muscles are now complaining every time you ride. The calf muscles seem to me (anecdotally, anyway) to be particularly affected when you're trying to ride as fast as possible for an extended time. You should find that some appropriate stretching after riding will help and maybe some targeted strength training like calf raises. Use a stair edge so that you can start with the heel dropped below the level of the toes to stretch the calf, then rise up slowly onto tiptoes. Hold then lower to the starting position. Hold onto the bannister for balance and use one leg at a time. Do enough to hurt (~20), rest for a minute or so, then repeat.

stavros

Sorry Stavros but I'd file that under 'rubbish' :thumbsup:

The OP said the problem was over the last two or three weeks so it's possible (probable) that the effort on the RTA was outside what was trained for and the muscles are now complaining every time you ride. The calf muscles seem to me (anecdotally, anyway) to be particularly affected when you're trying to ride as fast as possible for an extended time. You should find that some appropriate stretching after riding will help and maybe some targeted strength training like calf raises. Use a stair edge so that you can start with the heel dropped below the level of the toes to stretch the calf, then rise up slowly onto tiptoes. Hold then lower to the starting position. Hold onto the bannister for balance and use one leg at a time. Do enough to hurt (~20), rest for a minute or so, then repeat.

Thanks professor.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes I think so, he was hit by a van on Wilmslow road.

Just take it easy and no commuter racing :tongue: (I've seen your blog, haha)

Top Bottom