lower ratios

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
I have a tourer 2nd hand dave marsh 531 bike it came with campag 8 speed groupset the front is 30 40 50 with triple mech 8 speed exa drive shifters and a med cage mirage rear mech and 13 to 26 rear I would like to go lower for touring but does that mean replacing with shimano to get a low of around 25 inches I have a long cage acera rm which goes upto 34 but would need a wheel that accepts a shimano cassette and would the velocetriple be able to handle a low 24/6 on front?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You could use a Miche Primato cassette. This one goes up to 28 teeth: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miche-Primato-M-Cassette-8-speed-Miche-Campagnolo-compatible/202380877820

Otherwise a Shimano compatible wheel with larger cassette is worth a try. The medium cage might work as 8 speed is interchangeable.

8 speed Campagnolo has different cog spacing to Shimano 8. CTC has an article on cross compatibility of that era. I just switched everything to Shimano 9 which was a shame because the front micro-indexing shifter can work with any front ring/ mech combo

OP
OP
B

bygone era

Über Member
8 speed Campagnolo has different cog spacing to Shimano 8. CTC has an article on cross compatibility of that era. I just switched everything to Shimano 9 which was a shame because the front micro-indexing shifter can work with any front ring/ mech combo
what does the rear spacing need to be for a 9 speed ie 130 please

I have 9 speed in 135 OLD.
I was referring to the inter-cog spacing which must be compatible with the cable pull per index and the rear mech movement per cable pull (shift ratio).

CTC information here.

Top Bottom