Lowering Down Tube Mounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lothian

Why are mounts on the down tube so high.
Why aren't there multiple mount points along the length of the down/seat tubes.
Does an adapter widget exist that fastens to the existing mount points that effectively offers lower adjustable mount points along the tube?
Those first two questions are mostly rhetorical.

This is the existing, less-than-ideal placement:

IMG_5395.JPG

This would be much better placement:

IMG_5396.JPG

This would be idea!
Untitled-1.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Why are mounts on the down tube so high.
Why aren't there multiple mount points along the length of the down/seat tubes.
Does an adapter widget exist that fastens to the existing mount points that effectively offers lower adjustable mount points along the tube?
Those first two questions are mostly rhetorical.

This is the existing, less-than-ideal placement:

View attachment 705169

This would be much better placement:

View attachment 705170

This would be idea!
View attachment 705171

Probably so you can safely remove and replace the bottle while moving :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
for yours, the reason it is there is so that you can get another bottle cage on the seat tube, And yes, I believe there are relocation adaptors.
This ^^ and as @vickster says: "so you can safely remove and replace the bottle while moving". Maybe consider a 750ml bottle as opposed to that monster which I'd have trouble holding and drinking from safely. Maybe you are well up the dexterity spectrum.
If you must have a litre carried: go for 2 x 500ml bottles (I have 500ml on the down tube and normally 750ml on the seat tube (unless a frame bag in which case 500ml)).

OP
OP
lothian

lothian

Cage Shifter and "side-loading cage"... I had no idea either existed. Off to Amazon I go!

So much for retiring off one of my brilliant, but alas apparently unoriginal, ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think a cage shifter has merit for the seat tube, and after this thread I may try one there to allow space for a 750ml bottle under my (Apidura) frame bag (57 c-t seat tube). Although tbf 2 x 500ml bottles have seen me through LEL and PBP without stress.
If a rider shifts their down tube cage lower that will make it more difficult to reach and replace imho.
I use a side entry cage for my down tube bottle.

I have two of these attached, although in my case it was to allow 2 large bottles to be attached.
Can't fault them, although a side loader seems more appropriate for the Op.

presta

Guru
Google ‘adjustable bottle cage mounts’ there are different ones available.
This one can drop your cage by up to 4.5cm.
https://www.merlincycles.com/sks-ca..._medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=genieshopping

View attachment 705188

If you want to fit a large bottle under the downtube on my Horizon without it fouling the mudguard the ready made brackets are no use, which is why I made my own:
1693824902366.jpeg

It has three offsets: down, to clear the mudguard, left, to clear the chainset, and away from the tube, to clear the gear cable. It's also angled to maximise mudguard clearance when removing the bottle. With the cage fitted directly there isn't room for even the smallest bottles.

Top Bottom