Lowering the Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Bruce said:
AT least you understood that, must have been pitched at a lower enough level for you, continue to enjoy road policing by camera.

Ooooh! Do we feed the trolls around here? I have some kitchen scraps and a bag of stale crisps going spare.

Sam

Bad Company

Very Old Person
If anybody seriously believes they can drive better or ok after a little alcohol I would suggest trying an every day activity after a drink or 2.

A mate of mine suggested a game of tennis after we had 2 pints each in the pub. We are both ok players but the co-ordination all went badly wrong. Worse was the confidence was there. I felt like I could hit the ball like Federer but fell woefully short. Apply that to driving and the consequences are obvious.

Having said I like the limit as it is. Being breathalysed the morning after is a bit of a worry though I carry my own breathalyser in the car now and check before driving if I had a drink the night before.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
If you can't remember if you had a drink the night before, I don't think you need a breathaliser to tell you that you shouldn't be driving.

I have a rule that I always stop drinking by 10 pm if I am driving to work the next morning. My 8 am departure gives me 10 hours which is enough. I still check with the breathalyser though.

Bruce

wafflycat said:
So tell me... those of who live in places where there are no separate footpaths and we wish to get somewhere, by foot, how are we supposed to do it? Levitate?
The public highway: roads are NOT designated for motor vehicles, unless they are motorways (clue in the name, there), they are 'designated' for all road users :biggrin:
Read the highway code
"
Browse by subject

Browse by people

The Highway Code

dg_070523.jpg

Rules for pedestrians (1-35)

General guidance

Pavements (including any path along the side of a road) should be used if provided. Where possible, avoid being next to the kerb with your back to the traffic. If you have to step into the road, look both ways first. Always show due care and consideration for others.

Therefore yo uagree that they should be prosecuted if found wanderign into th e road where a footpath exists! The word is SHOULD as you say clue in the name

Bruce

TheDoctor said:
And we'll have a bit less of the abuse, Bruce.
[/Mod hat]

You have double standards, read back through this thread there are people accusing others of talking and I quote "Bollocks" others telling people to mindf there own damn business.
Didnt you Mod hat fit when you were readin those or was it selective blindness CLOWN

Shaun

Founder
Bruce said:
You have double standards, read back through this thread there are people accusing others of talking and I quote "Bollocks" others telling people to mindf there own damn business.
Didnt you Mod hat fit when you were readin those or was it selective blindness CLOWN

Bruce, please be civil.

Thanks,
Shaun

Dan B

Disengaged member
Bad Company said:
If anybody seriously believes they can drive better or ok after a little alcohol I would suggest trying an every day activity after a drink or 2.
I agree with you in general, but wish merely to note that, curiously, this does not work for pool.

coruskate said:
I agree with you in general, but wish merely to note that, curiously, this does not work for pool.

Know what you mean, I'm usually rubbish at pool but seem to hit a zone at about 3 - 4 pints when it all clicks. Doesn't last long though, it all goes pear shaped again around 6 - 7.

Bye the way, my previous post about drinking 3 pints and driving better was (obviously) just a failed attempt at getting a rise out of that regulator bloke.

wafflycat

Bruce said:
R
Therefore yo uagree that they should be prosecuted if found wanderign into th e road where a footpath exists! The word is SHOULD as you say clue in the name

Err.. Bruce, sweetie...

Read my post again - I asked what we pedestrains are supposed to do if we live where there are no footpaths.. Are we supposed to levitate? You've ignored that.

And has been pointed out to you - in the HC the word used to indicate a *requirement* is MUST, not SHOULD. The word SHOULD is only providing *advice*, not a legally binding requirment. So perhaps it's you that needs to acquaint yourself with the HC?

Here you go..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070236

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. An explanation of the abbreviations can be found in 'The road user and the law'."

Where SHOULD is used, this can be taken into account in determining liability, but to ignore it is not an offence.

Bruce

snorri said:
Yes, these jay walkers are killing hundreds every year, ruthless action is necessary.:laugh::sad:

Yes they probabaly kill as may as motorcyclists would if they didnt wear crash helmets, but they still have to wear one by law GO FIGURE

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If you have a problem with other posts, there's a report button, and it will be dealt with.

You can't blame others for your posting style.

Quite. But you can understand why he might want to try...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
User said:
Your attempt failed... :biggrin: :laugh:

Although I will point out that there is significant and substantive evidence, from highly respected organisations such as the Transport Research Laboratory, which shows that even one unit of alcohol can significantly impair perceptive, cognitive and reactive skills in drivers.

What alcohol does do is make you think that you're doing something better... :wacko:

Which is funnily enough why a lot of people don't drink and drive. That said I don't think it's particularly interesting in getting wound up about different people's denials or convincing ourselves falsely that one can have more 'clarity' at both ends of the scales with a reduced limit. Much better just to get out there and catch them.

Shaun

Founder
Bruce said:
Another one who cant read back!

Bruce, I only have to read your post to see you are being rude.

Please debate the points and stop being rude to people.

If you are concerned that other people's rudeness is being ignored - simply report their posts.

Thanks,
Shaun

Bad Company

Very Old Person
User said:
What alcohol does do is make you think that you're doing something better... :biggrin:

That's exactly what I felt during my tennis match after a couple of beers. In my mind I could hit the ball as hard and accurately as a professional. The reality was very different.;)

Top Bottom