Lowest Heart Rate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
gavintc said:
Hospital staff are often a little concerned with an athletic heart rate. I broke my collar bone recently and the nurses asked me on a number of occasions whether I had a low heart rate.

It really fluffs them up.............. ;)

Yeh right..............;) it is............. and BP....especially the lower end.....

it's like PUMP....................PUMP...................PUMP............. and ..well.......

Erm...
Pic of bike...pump..puu..p p p p 150........bingo, pre warm has worked....:tongue: - doing 100 plus looking at it...FFS................hence I don't use the pulse monitor much any more.

Bill Gates

I;ve had that hospital thing as well. The nurses woke me up in the middle of the night when I was awaiting an angioplasty as it went down to 38 bpm. When awake it once measured out at 36 bpm, but that was a manual count over 10 seconds x 6, and that was also when I was regularly winning open 10 miles to 100 mile TT's.

The lowest now as being healthy is 42. About 6 months ago when feeling quite ill it went down to 34 and I was a bit worried having had 2 x heart attacks.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

fossyant said:
It really fluffs them up.............. :smile:

Yeh right..............:biggrin: it is............. and BP....especially the lower end.....

it's like PUMP....................PUMP...................PUMP............. and ..well.......

Erm...
Pic of bike...pump..puu..p p p p 150........bingo, pre warm has worked....:biggrin: - doing 100 plus looking at it...FFS................hence I don't use the pulse monitor much any more.

Were you drunk when you wrote this?? :biggrin::biggrin:

02GF74

Über Member
satans budgie said:
My age 30 medical for the RAF recorded my HR as 32. Did a lot of running then. Don't know what it is now.

it is the same, you put one leg in front of the other quickly and repeat.

Rockus

Soz to be a bit of a pooper, but resting HR is a bit relative and influenced by many factors, one off readings should be taken with a pinch of salt. more important methinks is HR Vs effort. Ive hit 95% of my max and felt fine and other times hit that level and felt like dying -usually after a night Jack Daniels.

Im a pharmacist and for me B blockers to lower HR is a bit naughty, mind over matter any time for me. NB they lower your exercise threshold - by lowering work of the heart, essentailly their job for really unhealthy people. So i dont see their benefit in healthy people.

Again sorry to be a bore... lol

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rockus said:
Soz to be a bit of a pooper, but resting HR is a bit relative and influenced by many factors, one off readings should be taken with a pinch of salt. more important methinks is HR Vs effort. Ive hit 95% of my max and felt fine and other times hit that level and felt like dying -usually after a night Jack Daniels.

Im a pharmacist and for me B blockers to lower HR is a bit naughty, mind over matter any time for me. NB they lower your exercise threshold - by lowering work of the heart, essentailly their job for really unhealthy people. So i dont see their benefit in healthy people.

Seems good written English is no longer a requirement to pass a Pharmacy degree. Worrying stuff.

Jonathan M

Rockus said:

Resting HR is useful, can tell you if you've recovered after a period of intensive training, can also tell you if you are coming down with something.

Agree random one offs are pretty useless, and Sam's first post of "trying to concentrate" to get it lower wouldn't produce a genuine resting HR either, need to put a HRM on, rest on a bed or sofa with feet up, then check the display after about 10 minutes. You can check it in the morning, but there are things like full bladder sensation that may mean the resting HR is raised then.

One of the Polar training manuals uses the relationship between resting HR and max HR to calculate training zones, I followed that guidance and it seems to fit well with my perceived efforts.

I was wondering about the effects of beta blockers on exercise threshold, which you've confirmed, thanks.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Rockus said:
one off readings should be taken with a pinch of salt.

- is that before or after taking the reading, and would ready salted crisps be an acceptable alternative?

Rockus

[I was wondering about the effects of beta blockers on exercise threshold, which you've confirmed, thanks.[/QUOTE]

No problem mate.

Resting HR is useful, more importantly your recovery time in giving you an indication of your overall fitness level. Bikes are great for fitness since they maintain a high HR for a sustained period.

Don't worry about your ready salted crisp habit Youngbloke, since the sweating you do rids the body of many toxins -not least excess salt:smile:.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rockus said:
Thank god for that, i can bearly read too...

;):biggrin:

I'm on 50mg Atenolol, have been for nearly 4 years now since stenting (am 47 now and a bit overweight). Can't say I've noticed my performance is any worse since taking them. I'm OK kicking along at 20 mph on the flat and don't seem too much worst than the average club rider of my age. My average HR's are slightly below my peers for a given run, one can only assume that my heart shifts slightly more volume/beat as it is rate-restrained. On a good (naughty) day I've maneged to get my HR up to 160 for a few seconds but it takes a lot of doing!
Overall being on Beta-blockers at my dose has not severely curtailed my cycling performance or enjoyment, but they do make you feel generally a bit lethargic and dopey (more than I was!).

I tried lying down and checking my resting pulse with my garmin (bottom limit 35bpm) and when I uploaded the results, I saw I'd been flat-lining for a 3rd of the time, not that I felt dead.

I think there may be a healthy dose of genes in there - my brothers have low heart rates as well (can't you tell the evenings just used to fly by in our house....).

Rockus

Fab Foodie said:
:biggrin::biggrin:

I'm on 50mg Atenolol, have been for nearly 4 years now since stenting (am 47 now and a bit overweight). Can't say I've noticed my performance is any worse since taking them. I'm OK kicking along at 20 mph on the flat and don't seem too much worst than the average club rider of my age. My average HR's are slightly below my peers for a given run, one can only assume that my heart shifts slightly more volume/beat as it is rate-restrained. On a good (naughty) day I've maneged to get my HR up to 160 for a few seconds but it takes a lot of doing!
Overall being on Beta-blockers at my dose has not severely curtailed my cycling performance or enjoyment, but they do make you feel generally a bit lethargic and dopey (more than I was!).

Your right to surmise that your stroke volume has probably increased to compensate for you limited HR. Its kinda like a car engine that doesn't rev highly but with a bigger capacity.

You're taking Atenolol because you need it and Im glad to hear it hasnt severly curtailed your enjoyment or performance. That by far is the most important consideration for someone like me:smile:

Rockus

Stig-OT-Dump said:
I tried lying down and checking my resting pulse with my garmin (bottom limit 35bpm) and when I uploaded the results, I saw I'd been flat-lining for a 3rd of the time, not that I felt dead.

I think there may be a healthy dose of genes in there - my brothers have low heart rates as well (can't you tell the evenings just used to fly by in our house....).

LOL!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom