Lubes, greases etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I've not been 100% on it with maintaining my bike - I can happily clean it, replace bar tape and index gears - but I've never paid attention how to maintain things as simple as screws for the bottle cage. And that got me thinking - I have a tube of fibre grip for the stem, but not sure what other products I really need in my garage and what are their appropriate uses?

I'm not planning on stripping the bike, but do want to make sure I'm not compromising a carbon frame by not doing the right thing when I replace the bottle cage at the weekend.

I also dug out my maintenance stand today, and it's completely rusted over on the moving parts (it was kept outside in a garden box) so will want to replace it. Same theme as above, what's the best way to protect those components?

TIA

jamin100

Guru
Grease, fiber grip and copper slip is what I use on various parts

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Carbon assembly paste is used on a carbon to carbon join to increase grip, that's pretty much the seat post (unless you have a carbon stem and bars which is rare). It's so you don't need to over tighten and hence risk cracking the post.
You don't need it on your bottle cage screws, don't worry.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The bottle cage screws are steel (probably - weightweenies might have Ti) and they screw into threaded steel (bonded or otherwise into the carbon down/seat tube). You don't need grease on them but it won't harm. But since you are likely to fit these and forget, why not use threadlock on them?
Maintenance of bike stands is common sense and a bit of grease here and there, and WD40 all over it if you 'have' to leave it in a damp environment where oxidisation of steel parts is assured.

faster

Über Member
The bottle cage screws are steel (probably - weightweenies might have Ti) and they screw into threaded steel (bonded or otherwise into the carbon down/seat tube). You don't need grease on them but it won't harm. But since you are likely to fit these and forget, why not use threadlock on them?

Always grease bottle cage bolts - never use threadlock.

In anything other than a steel frame, the inserts are likely to be aluminium and if it the bolt seizes and spins the insert in the frame, it'll be absolute misery to fix, if indeed it is fixable at all.

In anything other than a steel frame, the inserts are likely to be aluminium and if it the bolt seizes and spins the insert in the frame, it'll be absolute misery to fix, if indeed it is fixable at all.

One of the reasons I gave up on ally frames.

On grease, I grease everything metal on metal. Don't see how it can do any harm.

I bought one of these a few months ago which has been great on all my lockdown bike projects, mainly for Cotterless BBs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392276652817

It’s so sticky that I was able to stick 9 ball bearings onto a BB spindle and slide it into the hole where a ball race would normally be required.
You were diddled (unless you are expecting imminent death/loss of bikes).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1738914168...MI8q-Vl9TH6gIVEWHmCh0Lmw9sEAQYBSABEgJb7_D_BwE

which is where I got mine from, for a bit less.

I'm assuming that's what yours is.

I use it as general purpose grease, on threads etc/stopping stuff sticking, apart from on BB where I use anti-seize.

I use other stuff for bearings.

I find it very good simple stuff - goodbye bike shop grease in tiddly bijou quantities.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
You were diddled (unless you are expecting imminent death/loss of bikes).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1738914168...MI8q-Vl9TH6gIVEWHmCh0Lmw9sEAQYBSABEgJb7_D_BwE

which is where I got mine from, for a bit less.

I'm assuming that's what yours is.

I use it as general purpose grease, on threads etc/stopping stuff sticking, apart from on BB where I use anti-seize.

I use other stuff for bearings.

I find it very good simple stuff - goodbye bike shop grease in tiddly bijou quantities.
That’s the same stuff I have, Lucas.
I saw the bigger pots for the lower cost per ml but it would take me decades to get through it and I’d prefer a small tin that sits in my tool bag . You pay for the convinience.

That’s the same stuff I have, Lucas.
I saw the bigger pots for the lower cost per ml but it would take me decades to get through it and I’d prefer a small tin that sits in my tool bag . You pay for the convinience.
Fair dos.
I am rather into greasing and use it rather liberally.
I have four pots of grease that size - different greases for different jobs.
Plus a large tub of shimano anti-seize which, I freely admit, I have had for years and I may bequeath - that's really only used for BBs.

Top Bottom