Lubing a dirty chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
It's Valentine's Day & I am going to spend my dinnertime ignoring the LoH and going on Zwift.

Last week I did a Zwift session and my chain was a bit squeaky. I know, I know...it needs a clean. I intend to do so on Friday, but between now and then is there any reason why adding some lube to the chain as is, is a bad idea? I.e. does it risk damaging the chain? I will be washing the drivetrain properly and relubing in a couple of days.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don’t ever wash the chain. It’s not necessary.

Big John

Guru
Give it a quick spray of GT85, a wipe over with a rag and walk away. When you have more time you can give it a proper clean but I'm with Ming.... I don't wash my chains unless I'm at work and then we use an digital ultrasonic cleaner. However, the chains we have to clean at work are a proper mess and if my own chain got like that I'd be ashamed ☹️

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Give it a quick spray of GT85, a wipe over with a rag and walk away. When you have more time you can give it a proper clean but I'm with Ming.... I don't wash my chains unless I'm at work and then we use an digital ultrasonic cleaner. However, the chains we have to clean at work are a proper mess and if my own chain got like that I'd be ashamed ☹️

Fair. Thanks.

I used to juat give it a wash every couple of weeks, nothing too deep unless I'd been anywhere particularly cruddy, or had a big ride coming up. I shall confess to using pipe cleaners once on my chain when I did have time on my hands.

Jameshow

Veteran
As a weekend warrior I deep clean every 3 months with a roller cleaner and lube every month or so. I do have several bikes so chose from.

just wear headphones & play the music loud

Top Bottom