Lubing a dirty chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The chain I have on my bike at the moment has shiny outer plates and dark inner ones, so it looks snazzy when cleaned. That gives me a reason to run a rag over it. Not always a compelling enough reason to get me to actually do it tho.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You (don't) want to risk your luck after he's slept in an empty station overnight and finished off a 1000km ride, and there's free beer at the capital finish!

Happy days at Monty’s. A most enjoyable finish to a grand audax.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have to admit that despite my profession (31 years in lubricant R&D) I'm pretty lackadaisical about chain lubrication. Most of my rides are offroad, including through the grime, mud and rain of winter. My typical regime is to hose down the whole bike (including chain) if it gets muddy, spray the chain with GT85 or WD40 to dry it, then dribble whatever oil I have to hand on it (might be a dedicated bicycle chain oil, might be a fork oil, could be a household '3-in-1' type oil, occasionally an engine oil). If the bike isn't that muddy I skip the wash-down and just go straight to oiling. I'll wipe off any excess once done. I don't do intercontinental miles on any bike so chain replacement is acceptable in terms of time.

silva

Über Member
Lubing a dirty chain is no problem, as long as you wipe reachable dirt off afterwards.
In fact, when my chain is dirty and appears dry, it's THE moment to put well oil on it, spin the cranks a while or a ride, the sand etc sticks to the oil and hangs on the outside of the rotation, making it easier to wipe it off.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
How to clean the jockey wheels then, without removing the chain?
Once in a blue moon, in my case, but still ... :angel:

Easiest with the rear wheel removed, but not too difficult. In any case, Campagnolo make it almost impossible to remove & refit a chain - and warn against it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom