Lubricant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
BearPear said:
Another potentially daft question, but if you are dabbing link by link, how do you know when you've gone round the entire loop?

1) Count the links as you do each one ;).

2) Join chain with master link (and start there obnov).

3) mark first lubed link with marker pen, crayon from puncture kit or similar.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
BearPear said:
Another potentially daft question, but if you are dabbing link by link, how do you know when you've gone round the entire loop?
If you look carefully you should be able to see when the first damp link comes back round.

Davidc

Guru
The machine lubricator I have (similar to a lube pen but a bit bigger) came empty and makes doing a chain easy.

I'd also say put some lube on the outside of the chain to repel water. Stops it going rusty, even in the salty muck we had on the roads last winter.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
l4dva said:
This may be a daft question but dose that lube pen come already filled with some lube in it?

Do you use it anywhere else other than the chain as well??

Yes, and yes - front & rear changer, brake pivots, cables etc. Very little and and often. I start at the quicklink/campag link, and count. Lube migrates to the exterior of the chain and cogs anyway, so apply to the chain only, sparingly, and wipe off surplus.

iendicott

I use Finish Line Wet for winter and Dry for summer.
I clean the chain with Soap and Water then wipe dry, spray with GT85 Spray to repel any moisture in the chain, leave for 5 minutes, wipe dry again and then apply the lube on the inside of the chain and a very light coat on the outside.

Top Bottom